Quên mật khẩu
 Đăng ký
Tìm
Event Fshare

Xem: 49453|Trả lời: 158
In Chủ đề trước Tiếp theo
Thu gọn cột thông tin

[Tiểu Thuyết] Wallflower 3: Lời Cầu Hôn Mùa Đông (Devil In Winter) | Lisa Kleypa

[Lấy địa chỉ]
Nhảy đến trang chỉ định
Tác giả
Đăng lúc 21-12-2011 14:05:41 | Chỉ xem của tác giả Trả lời thưởng |Xem thứ tự |Chế độ đọc
Devil In Winter
(Lời cầu hôn mùa đông)

Tác giả: Lisa Kleypas
Người dịch: Chuis_M
Tổng hợp : happy123 (TVE)

Độ dài: 22 chương
Ngày hoàn thành: 17/03/2010
Nguồn: www.vietlangdu.com
              www.e-thuvien.com
e-book: http://www.mediafire.com/?7r4uo165614r336

Giới thiệu nội dung:

Là con gái của chủ sòng bạc hạng nhì ở Luân Đôn, Evie Jenner từ nhỏ đã phải sống với những người họ hàng theo mong muốn của cha. Nàng e thẹn, không giỏi trò chuyện và có tật nói lắp. Nàng có thể là một con cừu non, nhưng ở trong tình thế cấp bách, ngay cả một người thận trọng cũng có thể đưa ra những quyết định liều lĩnh nhất: nàng tự lựa chọn con sói của mình.

Tử tước Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent, anh là kẻ lêu lỏng trác táng nhất Luân Đôn. Ai cũng biết chỉ ở một mình cạnh Sebastian trong hơn nửa phút là đã đủ để danh tiếng của một quý cô bị hủy hoại. Là một người hay nhạo báng, anh khinh bỉ tất cả những gì ngây thơ và trong sáng trên đời. Và vào một đêm mùa đông, con cừu non ngây thơ đó đến gõ cửa nhà anh và đưa ra một lời đề nghị mà anh không thể từ chối.

…Và tìm thấy một tình yêu đủ sức sưởi ấm cả mùa đông.

Top 100 Romances Poll (November 2010) (likesbooks.com):
#3. Devil In Winter
Lisa Kleypas
European Historical

Đây là câu chuyện thứ 3 trong series tiểu thuyết 4 mùa nổi tiếng "Wallflowers" của Lisa Kleypas:
1. Secrets of a summer night (Bí mật đêm hè): Annabelle Peyton 1818 & Simon Hunt 1810
2. It happened one Autumn (Điều kỳ diệu của mùa thu): Lillian Bowman 1819 & Marcus, Lord Westcliff 1808
3. - Devil in Winter (Lời cầu hôn mùa đông): Evangeline Jenner 1820  & Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent 1811
4. Scandal in Spring (Ước nguyện mùa xuân): Daisy Bowman 1822 & Matthew Swift 1815

Về series "Wallflowers":
Cuối mùa xuân năm 1843, bốn cô gái, bốn đoá hoa-bên-lề lẻ loi nhưng kiêu hãnh, gặp nhau tại một vũ hội ở Luân Đôn. Từ sự đồng cảm, họ dần trở thành những người bạn thân và cùng bắt tay vào thực hiện kế hoạch tìm chồng cho mỗi người. Và thế là series bốn mùa bắt đầu...

warning: 18+

Mục lục
Phần mở đầu Chương 12
Chương 1 Chương 13
Chương 2 Chương 14
Chương 3 Chương 15
Chương 4 Chương 16
Chương 5 Chương 17
Chương 6 Chương 18
Chương 7 Chương 19
Chương 8 Chương 20
Chương 9 Chương 21
Chương 10 Chương 22
Chương 11 Chương kết

Bản Tiếng Việt: từ trang 1 - 10
Bản Tiếng Anh: từ trang 10 trở đi

http://static.mp3.zing.vn/skins/mp3_main/flash/player/mp3Player_skin11.swf?xmlurl=http://mp3.zing.vn/blog?MjAxMS8wMy8xNC83L2UvInagaMEN2U0MThlNTNlNWVkZmIzYTNhYWM1OTE0ZGQ3ZDEwMTAdUngWeBXAzfFdpWeBnRlmUsICiBTWeB25nfFJvInagaMEWeBmFdUngIEcUIbaBlYXRpWeBmd8fDIThis is my winter song to you
The storm is coming soon
It rolls in from the sea
My voice: a beacon in the night
My words will be your light to carry you to me

Is love alive?
Is love alive?
Is love?

They say that things just cannot grow
beneath the winter snow,
or so I have been told.

They say we're buried far
just like a distant star
I simply cannot hold.

Is love alive?
Is love alive?
Is love alive?

Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

159#
 Tác giả| Đăng lúc 14-9-2012 13:12:31 | Chỉ xem của tác giả
In the distance they heard the whine of a motor, rising above the nighttime cacophony of frogs, crickets, and night birds. Jack felt the kick of adrenaline and got a firm grip on his reactions. It wouldn't be smart to get too excited.

The truck, a Ford extended cab pickup with a camper on the back, turned into the gravel driveway, and the driver immediately lolled the lights. There was no signal of any kind, no tapping of the horn or flashing of the headlights. Instead, Sykes turned on the porch light and opened the trailer door, stepping out to stand on the highest of the three wooden steps leading up to the door.

The driver turned off the motor and climbed out. "Hey, Sykes." The guard stayed in the cab.

"Have any trouble?" Sykes asked.

"One of the girls got sick, puked a couple of times, but I figure it was just from riding in the back. Stunk, though. I had to stop and hose out the back, to keep the other girls from puking."

"Let's get 'em inside, then, so they can clean up. Mr. Phillips is anxious to see this bunch."

"He's waiting on the young one, right? She's a pretty little thing, but she's the one been puking so much, so she's not real spry right now."

In the distance came the sound of another car, and everyone in hiding froze. The driver looked alarmed, and Sykes made a staying motion with his hand. "Hold what you got," he said softly. "It's nothing to worry about, just a car passing."

But the car seemed to be slowing. The driver stepped back to­ward the truck cab and opened the door, sliding half inside with one leg still on the ground, and the men under the trees knew he'd just armed himself. They all held their fire, though, waiting to see what happened.

The car turned into the driveway, headlights on bright. Glenn Sykes immediately turned to the side to save his night vision, his hand up to shield his eyes even more.

The car, a white Lexus, pulled up right behind the truck, and the headlights were turned off. A man got out from behind the wheel, a tall man with graying blond hair brushed straight back. He wore a suit, though the night was muggy, and who wore a suit at three o'clock in the morning, anyway?

"Mr. Sykes," said a smooth voice, with the hammy kind of southern accent that actors always used. After two years in the south, Jack could pick up some of the nuances now, and he knew that wasn't a north Alabama accent. Something about it struck him as fake; it was just too exaggerated.

"Mr. Phillips," Sykes said, surprised. "We didn't know to ex­pect you."

That was true. The Scottsboro police hadn't been able to lo­cate Mr. Phillips, though they'd been very low-key about their search. Until he was in custody, everything was being kept as quiet as possible, because they didn't want him forewarned and perhaps able to destroy evidence, or even skip town completely. He had enough money to live very comfortably in Europe or the Caribbean, if he wanted.

Sykes glanced at the driver and guard. "It's all right. Mr. Phillips owns the operation." The two relaxed, getting out of the truck. Their hands were empty; both of them had left their weapons in the cab.

"There’ve been a series of mistakes lately," said Phillips, walk­ing toward Sykes. "I wanted to personally supervise this ship­ment to make certain nothing went wrong."

Meaning he couldn't wait to get his hands on the thirteen-year-old girl in the back of the truck, Jack thought, and disgust curdled his stomach. Slowly he centered his sights on Phillips, be­cause his presence was unexpected and in Jack's experience the unexpected meant trouble.

"Nothing will go wrong this time," said Sykes, his voice calm.

"I'm sure it won't," Phillips purred, and pulled a pistol from the right pocket of his suit jacket. He aimed and fired at Sykes before any of the men surrounding them could react; Sykes slammed back against the trailer, then toppled off the steps.

Jack's finger gently squeezed the trigger.  His shot took Phillips exactly where he'd wanted it to, and Phillips went down screaming.

All hell broke loose.

To the uninitiated, the explosion of noise, lights, and motion as black-clad, heavily armed men burst from their hiding places, all shouting, "Police! Get your hands up!" or identifying themselves as FBI—whichever the case might be—would be nothing more than terrifying confusion. To Jack, it was a well-oiled operation, prac­ticed over and over until each man knew what to do and what to expect. The two men still standing knew the drill: they froze, their arms automatically going up to lock their hands behind their heads.

The Russian girls inside the camper went into hysterics, screaming and crying and trying to escape, beating against the locked camper door. The INS agents got the key from the driver and opened the door, reeling back at the stench. The hysterical girls erupted from their prison, kicking and scratching as they were caught and held.

One girl managed to slip past everyone and run full speed down the dark country road before sheer exhaustion made her stumble and fall; the INS agent who gave chase picked her up and carried her like a baby in his arms, while she sobbed and made hysterical exclamations in her own language. The INS, fore­warned, had a Russian-speaking agent on hand, and she began trying to calm the girls, saying the same phrases over and over until they actually began to listen.

There were seven of them, none older than fifteen. They were thin, filthy, and exhausted. According to Sykes, though, none of them had been sexually assaulted; they were all virgins, and were to be sold for ridiculously high prices to gangs who would then charge wealthy, depraved men even more for the privilege of being the first to rape the girls. After that, they would be used as prosti­tutes, and sold over and over among gangs who would work them for a while, then sell them off. None of them spoke English; all of them had been told that if they didn't cooperate, their families in Russia would be shot.

The INS translator told them over and over that their families wouldn't be harmed, that they would be able to go home. Finally they calmed enough that, warily, they began to think she might be telling the truth. Their ordeal, the long trip from Russia and the brutal conditions they had endured, made it difficult for them to trust anyone right now. They huddled together, watching the black-clad people move around them, frightened by the flashing lights of the emergency vehicles as they arrived, but making no further effort to escape.

Jack stood over Sykes as the medics evaluated the wounded men. Blood from the chest wound soaked the entire left side of his body, but Sykes was conscious, his face ashen as the medics worked to stabilize him. In the background, Phillips's screams had deteriorated to guttural moans. Sykes looked up at Jack, his gaze vague with shock. "Will... he live?"

Jack glanced over his shoulder at the second knot of medics. "Maybe. If he doesn't die of sepsis. I didn't nick the femoral artery, but groin wounds can be a bitch when the colon is involved."

"Groin ..." Sykes almost managed a grin. "You shot... his balls off."

"I haven't checked. If there's anything left, though, it won't be in good working order."

Sykes gasped for breath, and the medic said, "We've radioed for a helicopter to transport him," meaning every minute counted if Sykes was to survive.

"I'll... come out... on top yet," said Sykes, and looking down at him, Jack figured that if sheer willpower could keep the man alive, then Sykes would be testifying at Nolan's and Phillips's trials.

At six-thirteen, Jack trudged into his office. He hadn't been home, hadn't showered, and still carried his black rifle. He was more tired than he'd been since . . . hell, since the last time he'd carried the rifle, but he felt good, too. All he wanted to do was take care of some details and go home to Daisy.

Both Sykes and Phillips were in surgery at a hospital in Huntsville, but even if Sykes died, they had more than enough to prosecute.

Sykes had been a regular fountain of information. Mitchell had been killed because of his habit of dosing the girls with GHB; he'd killed two of them, so Nolan had decided he had to be dealt with. When questioned about the date-rape drugs, Sykes had rattled off the names of the dealers he knew. A dozen different investigations had been launched as a result of what Glenn Sykes had to say.

Having been given all the details by Todd, Jack had personally asked Sykes if he knew anything about the woman who had been given GHB at the Buffalo Club and raped by at least six men. That was one question for which Sykes didn't have any answers, though; Jack didn't think there ever would be any answers.

When he opened the office door, he stared in disbelief at Eva Fay, sitting at her desk. She looked up and held out a cup of fresh, hot coffee. "Here, you look like you need this."

He took the coffee and sipped it. Yep, it was so fresh he could still smell the coffee beans. He eyed her over the cup. "All right, Eva Fay, tell me how you do it."

"Do what?" she asked, a look of astonishment on her face.

"How do you know when I'm coming in? How do you always have hot coffee waiting for me? And what in hell are you doing here at six-fifteen in the morning?"

"Yesterday was a busy day," she said. "I had a lot of stuff I didn't get done, so I came in early to handle it."

"Explain the coffee."

She looked at him and smiled. "No."

" 'No'? What do you mean, 'No'? I'm your boss, and I want to know."

"Tough," she said, and swiveled back to her computer screen.

He knew he should go home and clean up first. He knew he des­perately needed some sleep. But what he needed most was to see Daisy, to be in the company of a woman who would never park in a fire lane or even jaywalk. After the filth and sordidness he'd seen, he needed her cleanness, her simple good-heartedness. And even though he knew she was all right, he needed to see her, to let his eyes reassure his brain. He wasn't sure exactly when she'd be­come so important to him, but there were some things a man couldn't fight. Besides, she'd let him use her shower.

She opened the door almost as soon as he knocked. "I heard you drive up," she said, then got a good look at him. "Goodness."

"It'll wash off," he said, swiping at the remnants of black face paint. He'd done a halfhearted job using paper towels in the men's rest room at the station, but there hadn't been any soap, and the job definitely called for soap.

She eyed him dubiously. "I hope so."

She was carrying Midas, and the puppy struggled madly to reach him. Midas didn't care what he looked like, Jack thought, reaching out to take the fuzzbutt in his arms. Midas began his frantic licking ritual, and Daisy frowned at him. "I don't know if you should let him do that," she said.

"Why not? He always does this."

"Yes, but you usually aren't covered with. . . stuff. I don't want him to get sick."

Jack thought about grabbing her and getting some of that stuff on her, but she'd probably smack him. She looked good enough to eat, he thought, with her blond hair tousled and her odd-colored eyes sleepy. Her skin was fresh and clear, and the thin pink robe she wore was almost thick enough to keep him from being able to tell she wore only a pair of panties underneath.

"I thought you'd like to know it's all wrapped up."

"I know. Todd called me."

"Todd." He growled the name. He liked Todd, even trusted him, but suddenly he felt the hot bite of jealousy. He didn't like Daisy's easy friendship with the man, because even if she still had doubts about Todd's sexual orientation, he didn't.

"Don't just stand there, come in," she said, taking Midas from him and setting the puppy on the floor, where he bounced off in search of recreation. "Go take a shower while I cook breakfast."

That sounded like heaven. He was already pulling off his clothes as he left the room, though he still had enough wit about him to take everything with him and not leave it on the floor for sharp puppy teeth to shred. Something, a sudden sharp need to get everything in order and nailed down, stopped him in the doorway. He looked back at her. "Daisy."

She paused at the kitchen door. "Yes?"

"Remember the deal we made?"

"Which deal?"

"That I'd marry you if you got pregnant."

Her cheeks got pink. He loved it that she could still blush. "Of course I remember. I wouldn't have begun this affair with you if you'd said no. People have to be responsible, and if you think you can weasel out of the deal now—"

"Let's go to Gatlinburg this weekend and get married."

Her eyes rounded and her lips parted in surprise. "But I'm not pregnant. At least, I don't think... It was just that once, and—"

"So we try again," he said, shrugging. "If you insist on being pregnant before we get married."

"My goodness, of course not! You mean you actually want—"

"Oh, yeah," he said softly "I want."

Midas pranced back into the living room, a dishcloth trailing from his mouth. Daisy stooped and caught him, and took the dishcloth away. "You don't mind having children? Because I really do want at least a couple of kids, and you seemed horrified when I asked you if you had any."

"I was horrified at the thought that I might have had any kids with my ex."

"Oh. That's good."

But she didn't give him a definite answer, just stood there looking preoccupied, and he began to get worried. He dropped his shirt to the floor and crossed the room to her. Wrapping one arm around her waist, he pulled her against him and put his other hand on her throat, using his thumb to tilt her chin up. "I know I'm dirty and smelly," he said, "but I'm not letting you go until I get the answer I want."

"Not just an answer, but the answer you want, hmm?"

"You got it."

"I have a question."

"Ask it."

"Do you love me?" She immediately blushed again. "I didn't think you were my type at all, but it didn't seem to matter. The more I was around you the more I wanted to be with you, and I'd love to marry you, but if you don't feel the same way I feel, then I don't think we should get married."

"I love you," he said clearly "That's as plain as I can make it. Now, will you marry me?"

She beamed at him, the million-watt smile he'd noticed the first time he'd ever spoken to her, when he'd gone to the library to sign up for the virtual library That smile did more for him than blond hair and makeup ever could. "Yes, thank you."

Then he had to kiss her, and when he stopped, he didn't feel nearly as tired as he had when he'd arrived. He began dragging her toward the hall. "Forget about breakfast. Take a shower with me."

"Midas—" she began, looking around for the little demon.

"We'll take him with us." Jack scooped him up and removed his shirt from the puppy's mouth. "He needs a bath, too."

"He does not, and besides, I don't think I can do it with him in the tub with us, watching."

"I'll blindfold him." He tugged her into the bathroom.

"You'll do no such thing!"

"Then we'll close the door and let him play on the floor." He suited action to words and decided the sacrifice of a shirt was worth it for the peace. He dropped the shirt, and Midas pounced on it.

Daisy immediately leaned down to take it away from him, but Jack stopped her and efficiently stripped her out of her robe and panties, then bundled her into the tub. He shucked off the rest of his clothes and let them drop, too. Let Midas have a field day.

He got into the tub with her and turned on the water, then when it was hot, turned on the shower, shielding her with his body until the initial icy blast turned warm. As he lifted her, she put both arms around his neck, her expression serious. "Could we start trying right away?"

Maybe he was too tired to think clearly, or maybe he just had other things on his mind. "Trying what?"

"To have a baby," she said, exasperated, then gasped as he slipped into her. Her gaze immediately unfocused and her head drooped back as if it were suddenly too heavy for her neck.

"Sweetheart," he promised, "you'll never have to buy another PartyPak."

EPILOGUE

Evelyn and Aunt Jo had outdone themselves with Sun­day dinner, a sort of celebration for Daisy and Jack. There had been a dinner in Gatlinburg the week before, right after their wed­ding, but that had been at a restaurant and didn't count. Now the table fairly groaned under the weight of all the food. The whole family was there, as well as Todd and his friend Howard, whom Daisy had been astonished to recognize. She hadn't thought Howard was gay, because why would he have been at the Buffalo Club if he was? Of course, Jack was still adamant that Todd was straight, so maybe she wasn't a good judge of such matters.

Midas prowled under the table, unerringly locating her by her scent, and plopped down on her feet. His little tongue lapped at her ankles, and she peeked under the tablecloth to check on him. He had that sleepy look that meant he was settling down for a nap. He'd worn himself out, greeting so many different people, and of course each had to be played with before he moved on to the next.

Only a few short weeks ago she'd been agonized by how empty her life was, and now it was brimming over. Her family had always been there, of course, but she had found some very dear friends, she now had Midas—and then there was Jack.

How could she ever have thought jocks weren't her type? This particular jock was just what she needed. He always looked so tough, with his short-cropped graying hair and his broad shoul­ders and thick neck, and the cocky way he had of walking, like a man who took up all of his allotted space and then some. He still crowded her, in bed and out, but she had learned to adjust. If he took up more than his half of the bed, then she had no where else to sleep but on top of him, so if he wasn't getting enough sleep these days, it was his own fault.

She felt almost incandescent with joy; so far her period was four days late. She was stunned by the possibility that she might have gotten pregnant so fast, but then Jack had certainly worked at his appointed duty. She had kept waiting for her period to start, but this morning hope had suddenly overwhelmed common sense and she was almost certain. When they left her mother's, they were going to buy a pregnancy test kit. Tomorrow morning, they would know for sure.

She couldn't decide which she wanted most, a son or a daugh­ter. She thought of Jack throwing a football with a tough little guy, and her heart melted. Then she imagined a little girl, all dimples and ringlets, cradled in her daddy's muscular arms, and she shiv­ered with delight. No matter which she had, though, she'd ask Todd to help her decorate the nursery, because he had such won­derful taste in interior decorating. And she wanted to ask him if he would be the baby's godfather, though she'd have to talk that over with Jack first because he might have another friend in mind.

Todd commented on the lace tablecloth, asking her mother if she knew how old it was. Daisy tilted her head, studying him. He was as neatly dressed as always, today wearing a white silk shirt and pleated forest green trousers with a narrow black belt cinched around his waist.

Under the table, Jack's leg nudged hers, as if he couldn't bear not touching her any longer. She ignored him, her gaze locked on Todd.

Jack realized whom she was watching, and he suddenly shifted restlessly. "Daisy—" he began, but he was too late. Her voice rang out, clear and crisp.

"Todd, do you know what color puce is?"

Caught off-guard, Todd turned to her with a startled look. "You're making that up, right?" he blurted.

Glenn Sykes had been out of the hospital for almost a month when he drove up to Temple Nolan's house, though the former mayor no longer lived there. He was out on bail and supposedly living in Scottsboro until his trial, but Sykes hadn't made any ef­fort to find out where. For now, he was just concentrating on being alive and getting his strength back.

He'd been in an odd mood since getting shot, though maybe it wasn't so odd. Almost dying tended to change your outlook, at least temporarily. He still figured he'd handled things the best way possible for himself, even though it had gone bad there at the end, with Phillips showing up. He allowed himself a cold smile; he still enjoyed thinking about Russo's well-placed shot.

There was one other person who probably enjoyed thinking about that shot just as much as he did, and that was why he was here.

He rang the doorbell and waited. He heard footsteps; then Jennifer Nolan opened the door. She didn't know him, though, so she didn't unlatch the storm door. "Yes?"

She was a beautiful woman, he thought, more than merely pretty. He'd heard she had stopped drinking; maybe she had, maybe she hadn't, but today her eyes were clear, if full of shadows.

"I'm Glenn Sykes," he said.

She stared at him through the screen, and he knew what she was thinking. He had been in her husband's employ, privy to all the dirty secrets; he probably knew about Temple giving her to Phillips.

"Go away," she said, and started to shut the door.

"It doesn't matter," he said softly, and she froze, her hand still on the door.

"What. . . what doesn't matter?" Her voice was low and strained.

"What Phillips did. It doesn't matter. He didn't touch you, just your body."

She whirled, her eyes full of rage. "Yes, he did touch me! He killed part of me, so don't come here telling me what he did or didn't do."

He put his hands in his pockets. "Are you going to let him win?"

"He didn't win. I did. I'm here, and what's left of him will go to prison, where I'm sure he'll be very popular."

"Are you going to let him win?" Sykes repeated, his cool gaze locked on hers, and she hesitated.

The moment drew out, as if she was helpless to close the door and bring an end to it. Her breath came fast and shallow. "Why are you here?" she whispered.

"Because you need me," he said, and Jennifer opened the door.

END:
Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

158#
 Tác giả| Đăng lúc 14-9-2012 13:11:16 | Chỉ xem của tác giả
There were times when there was nothing else to do but cut your losses and do damage control. This was one of those times.

Sykes pondered his options. He could cut out; he had his al­ternate identity in place. But he'd always thought he'd save the alternate identity for a life-and-death situation, and this didn't qualify. He'd have to take a hit, maybe do a year or so of hard time, but maybe not even that. He hadn't been the guy with the knife; they could get him for conspiracy to commit, obstruction, things like that, but not murder one.

Besides, he had a powerful weapon to use: information. Infor­mation was what made the world go round, and prosecutors make deals.

He had no faith in Temple Nolan; the man would roll over on a dime. Within a few hours, Glenn Sykes would be a wanted man.

But not if he rolled first.

Calmly, the way he did everything, Sykes drove to the Hills-boro Police Department. For a P.D. in a sleepy little town, the place looked unusually busy; there were a lot of cars in the park­ing lot. He walked in through the automatic glass doors, noting the officers standing in clumps talking in low voices, the air of tension. Patrol officers should be out in their cars, patrolling, so these guys were probably the first shift, hanging around. Again, a telling detail.

He went up to the desk sergeant, his hands at his sides, obvi­ously empty. "I'd like to speak to Chief Russo, please."

"The chief's busy. What can I help you with?"

Sykes looked to his left, down a long hall. He briefly saw a very pretty woman, distraught, accepting a cup of coffee from a plainclothes guy probably an investigator. Because he'd made it his business to know things about Temple Nolan, he recognized Mrs. Nolan right off. She certainly didn't look or act drunk; so much for Nolan's theory.

He turned back to the desk sergeant. "I'm Glenn Sykes. I think y'all are looking for me."

TWENTY-FIVE

Of all the things Jack had never expected to happen, having Glenn Sykes walk into the station, introduce himself, and ask to speak to him was number two on the list. Number one was his reaction every time he got close to Miss Daisy, but he was learning to live with that. He was also beginning to think nothing was impossible.

Sykes was of average height, a little stocky, and neatly dressed. His sandy hair was short and neat; he was clean­shaven, his nails pared and clean, clothes pressed. He didn't look like anyone's version of a hit man, but then Ted Bundy hadn't looked like a monster, either. Criminals came in all shapes, sizes, colors, and could be wearing rags or diamonds. The smart ones wore diamonds. The really smart ones looked like this man.

Sykes was also very calm, and certain of what he wanted. "I want to cut a deal," he said. "I can give you Mayor Nolan, the man who stabbed Chad Mitchell, a man named Elton Phillips, and a lot more. Let's get the D.A. in here and talk."

"We know who stabbed Mitchell," Jack said, leaning back in his chair. "Buddy Lemmons."

Sykes didn't even blink. "Miss Minor identified him, didn't she?"

"She got a good look at all three of you."

"So you've got her stashed someplace safe."

Jack didn't respond, just watched Sykes. The man had an ex­cellent poker face, giving away nothing.

"There's something a lot bigger than just a stupid piece of trash getting offed." Sykes leaned back, too, as relaxed as Jack.

"I was wondering how the mayor is tied in."

"There's a lot of money in the sex trade," Sykes said obliquely. "You going to call the D.A. or not? You need to move fast; there's something big going down tonight."

"The Russians," said Jack.

Sykes whistled softly through his teeth, not even trying to hide his surprise. "Guess you know a lot more than I thought. But you don't know where and you don't know who."

"I'm guessing Mayor Nolan does, though."

"He'll sing like Tweety Bird," Sykes agreed.

"So why would the D.A. want to deal with you?"

"Because trust is a rare commodity, and I don't have much of it."

Jack studied the sandy-haired man, the clear, cold eyes and utter calm of his manner. "You've got the goods on all of them, don't you? You documented everything."

"That's right." Sykes gave a thin smile. "Just in case. I like having a little leverage when things go wrong. And sooner or later, they always go wrong. You just gotta learn when to get out."

Jack left the room and placed the call to the district attor­ney in Scottsboro. If a deal had to be made, he thought Sykes would be a better state witness than Mayor Nolan, simply be­cause Sykes struck him as more ruthless and organized. Some­times you had to deal with the devil, and this was one of those times.

Then he called the motel where he'd left Daisy, wanting to give her the word that she was safe. The front desk switched him through to her room, and he listened to the ringing. Four rings. Five. Six. He began to sweat.

Maybe the front desk had put him through to the wrong room; mistakes happened. He disconnected, called back, and asked for her room again. One ring. Two. A cold fist knotted in his chest. She should be there. Three. Maybe she was getting some­thing to eat at the Huddle House. Four.

Sykes was here. There was no way Daisy was in any danger now.

Five.

She wouldn't have left for any reason, would she? She was safe there. But what if she'd come up with one of her off-the-wall plans and thought she could trap Sykes or the mayor?

Six.

Logic told him she was okay. The worst fear he'd ever known, however, whispered all sorts of scenarios to him, scenarios that ended with Daisy—

Seven.

He tried to imagine a life without Daisy in it, and it was like hitting a stone wall. Full stop. Nothing.

Eigh-

"Hello?" Her voice was a little breathless, as if she'd been running.

The relief that poured through him was almost as shattering as the fear had been. His hand tightened on the receiver, and he briefly closed his eyes, "What took you so long?" he growled.

"I was outside with Midas. Actually, the leash slipped out of my hand and I've been chasing him."

He hadn't meant to say anything, but he was still so shaken from those few moments of terror that the words slipped out. "I thought you'd left."

She paused. "Left? As in left left, rather than just stepped out­side for a minute or gone to get something to eat?"

"I was afraid you'd come up with one of your plans—"

"Have I ever given you any reason to think I'm stupid?" she demanded angrily. "I'm safe here; why would I leave? That's what always happens in movies; either the woman or the kid disobeys instructions and does exactly what they've been told not to do, thereby putting both themselves and everyone else in danger. I've always thought that if they were that stupid, then let them die be­fore they have a chance to breed. My goodness, you'd think I make a habit of—"

"Daisy," he said softly.

She paused in her tirade. "Are you about to apologize?"

Maybe that would speed things up. "Yeah. I'm sorry. I pan­icked."

"Apology accepted," she said in that prim voice that made him want to grin.

"I called with some good news, sweetheart. Sykes walked into the station a little while ago and gave himself up, wanting to make a deal. You're safe."

"You mean it's all over?"

"There's some mopping up to do. I've been in contact with Morrison, and they haven't found Lemmons and Calvin yet, but they will. The mayor's wife got him on tape making threats against you, and Sykes is ready to roll over on everybody. I don't know what time I'll get back to pick you up."

"So I don't have to stay here tonight?"

"You might. This could go on all night."

"When Todd brings my things, I'll just have him drive me home instead."

Guiltily, Jack glanced at his watch. It was after six, and he hadn't remembered to call Todd at all. "I'll try to catch him at his store, save him a trip."

"You forgot to call him, didn't you?"

He sighed. "Busted."

"Under the circumstances, you're forgiven. Has my mother called?"

He'd had his cell phone with him all day, even carrying it into the John with him, so he knew he hadn't missed any calls. "Not yet." Mrs. Minor wouldn't wait too much longer before checking on Daisy, though.

"Just get her number, and I'll call her back when I get home. Call Todd now," she reminded him.

"I will." He did, and luck was with him; Todd was still in Huntsville. Jack brought him up to date and asked him to pick up Daisy.

"Sure, no problem." Todd paused. "Sykes mentioned the sex trade. He may have some information on the men I'm looking for, or on the dealers who sell the date-rape drugs."

"The way this thing's spreading out, anything's possible. If you want to ask him some questions yourself, I can swing it."

Another pause. "I can't get officially involved."

"I know. I'll get the D.A. to question him about drugs, but if you want to talk to him personally later, just let me know."

"For now, I'll stay behind the scenes and see what the D.A. comes up with."

"It's your call. Just don't forget to pick up Daisy. By the way, she has her puppy with her."

Todd said warily, "You said that like you're warning me about something."

"You haven't met Midas, have you?"

"What is he, a half-grown Great Dane?"

"He's a six-week-old golden retriever. A ball of fuzz. Dogs don't come any cuter. He melts hearts left and right."

"And?"

"And don't turn your back on him."

Smiling, Jack hung up and went back into the room where his investigators were taking Sykes's statement. Another investigator and a patrol officer were on their way to pick up Mayor Nolan and bring him in for questioning. They had gone from not know­ing anything that morning to pretty much having things sewn up tonight. Some of it had been pure luck, such as his noticing Mrs. Nolan on the road back from Huntsville because she was driving erratically, but most of the events had been the direct result of someone doing something stupid. Even Glenn Sykes, who was pretty damn sharp, had been stupid to get involved in the first place. It all came down to the choices they made, and criminals in general made stupid choices.

When the D.A. and his assistant got there from Scottsboro, the D.A. was noticeably upset. He took Jack aside and said, "Elton Phillips is a very respected member of the community. We

have to be very sure of what we have before I'm going to proceed

an inch with this."

"We have him on tape, and we have corroborating testimony from Mr. Sykes. I'm pretty damn sure."

"Was the tape legally obtained?"           

"Mayor Nolan's wife taped it with the answering machine on
her bedroom extension."

The D.A. considered that. It was Mrs. Nolan's own phone, and the mayor obviously knew there were extension phones in his house, therefore he couldn't argue that he had an expectation of privacy concerning his telephone conversations. The legal ground seemed pretty solid.

"Okay, let's see what Mr. Sykes has to tell us."

When Temple Nolan saw the white city-owned car turn into his driveway, he took a deep breath and forced himself to re­main calm. Everything would be all right. Sykes's suggestions had been reasonable; Jennifer's wild telephone call could be ex­plained away, as could his asking Russo to run a tag number for him. As Sykes had pointed out, since he hadn't been able to find Daisy, no crime had been committed. If Daisy had real­ized she'd seen anything important in the parking lot of the Buffalo Club, she'd have already told someone. They were clear.

His doorbell rang. Quickly he took off his tie and rolled up his shirtsleeves, to give himself a casual, unworried look. Pick­ing up a section of the Huntsville newspaper, he took it with him to answer the door; he looked like a man who had been reading the newspaper and unwinding, a man with nothing to hide.

He affected a look of mild surprise when he opened the door. "Richard," he said to the investigator. "What's up?"

"We'd like to ask you some questions about an allegation your wife made this morning," Investigator Richard Hill said, and he didn't sound apologetic, either. That was a little worrisome, Nolan thought.

"Sure. Come on in. Nadine told me about Jennifer calling the library, but I didn't think anyone would take it seriously Jennifer . . . has a little problem with alcohol, you know."

"Yes, sir," said Investigator Hill. He eyed the newspaper, the rolled-up sleeves. "Settling down for the evening, sir?"

"It was an upsetting day. I brought some paperwork home with me; after I finish the paper and have supper, I'll work on that for a while. Is something wrong?"

Hill looked at his wristwatch. "I'm just surprised you didn't remember the city council meeting tonight," he said calmly. "It started five minutes ago."

The mayor froze, aghast. He'd never, in nine years, missed a city council meeting. Richard Hill knew something drastic would have to be wrong for him to totally forget about it. "I remem­bered," he said, trying to cover himself. "But it seemed best to stay home with Jennifer tonight." Thank God he'd lowered the garage doors, so they couldn't see that Jennifer's car wasn't in the bay.

"Mrs. Nolan is at the station," said Investigator Hill, still very calm and polite. "If you'll come with us, sir, we'll drive you there."

"Jennifer's at the station?" God, what should he say now? How could he explain not knowing where she was? "Is she all right?" Good. A touch of concern. That was inspired.

"Mrs. Nolan's just fine, sir."

"That's a relief, because she was... over the top this morn­ing, if you know what I mean."

"Please come with us."

"Sure. I'll take my car and follow you—"

"No, sir, I'd prefer you ride with us."

Nolan stepped back, but Hill and the patrol officer smoothly flanked him and grasped his arms, forcing them behind his back. Handcuffs were quickly snapped around his wrists.

Outraged, he stared at the two men. "Get these cuffs off me! What do you think you're doing? I'm not a criminal, and I refuse to be treated like one."

"It's procedure, sir, for your safety and ours. They'll be re­moved at the station." They physically shepherded him from the house, their grasps on his arms propelling him forward.

"You're fired!" he ground out, his face turning dark red. "Both of you. There's no excuse for this kind of treatment."

"Yes, sir," said Hill as they put him in the backseat of the car and closed the door.

Nolan could barely breathe, he was so furious. Jack Russo had to have instigated this, to get back at him for... surely not be­cause he'd asked him to run Daisy's tag number; that was ludi­crous. But what else could it be? Maybe Russo was the insanely jealous type who went off the deep end at the least attention any­one paid to his girlfriend.

The only other explanation was that they believed Jennifer.

He began hyperventilating and forced himself to slow his breathing. He could handle this; all he had to do was stay calm. No matter what Jennifer said, he could put a spin on it that threw everything she said into doubt. After all, she was a drunk, and the whole town knew it. She had no proof, just one side of a tele­phone conversation that she'd overheard, and she was bound to have garbled it.

When they reached the police department, he was aston­ished at the number of cars there. Something was going on, something more than the city council meeting. Then he saw three of the city councilmen standing outside the glass doors leading into the station, and his stomach knotted. The sun was going down and the fierce heat had abated, but sweat adhered his shirt to his back as Hill opened the car door and assisted him from the backseat.

The city councilmen looked at him, but they didn't make eye contact. It was as if they were watching an animal in a zoo, noth­ing more than a matter of curiosity.

"Take these cuffs off!" he said to Hill in a fierce undertone. "Goddamn it, the city council is watching."

"I'll take them off when we're inside, sir," said Hill, catching his arm.

Meaning when they had him where he couldn't get away. Dizzily he looked around, and a familiar-looking car caught his eye. It was a gray Dodge, and it was parked in one of the slots re­served for the patrol cars, but no one seemed to care.

Sykes drove a gray Dodge, an ordinary car that he said no one ever noticed. This car had a Madison County tag on it; Sykes lived in Madison County, just outside Huntsville.

Why was Sykes here? If they had arrested him, they wouldn't have let him drive here any more than they'd let Nolan. How had they even located him? There was no reason for Sykes to be here, unless—

Unless Sykes had turned on them.

He was hyperventilating again, colors running together in his vision. "Sykes!" he roared, lowering his shoulder and ramming it into Investigator Hill, breaking his hold. "Sykes!" He began run­ning toward the station. "You bastard, Sykes! You motherfucking bastard, I'll kill you!"

Investigator Hill and the patrol officer chased him, and the patrol officer made a diving tackle, wrapping both arms around the mayor's knees and bringing him down. With his hands cuffed behind him, Nolan couldn't catch himself, and he skid­ded face-first along the rough asphalt of the parking lot, leav­ing skin and blood behind. Mucus and blood poured from his broken nose as they hauled him to his feet. "Sykes," he said again, but his mouth was full of blood and the word was unin­telligible.

The city councilmen stepped to the side as they half-carried him through the doors, the councilmen's expressions disgusted, as if they'd seen something nasty. Temple Nolan tried to think of something to say that would reassure them, some pat answer he'd rehearsed and used a hundred times before and which never failed to elicit the response he wanted, but nothing came to mind.

Nothing came to mind at all.

TWENTY-SIX

It was almost three o'clock in the morning. A multi-department task force waited in the night for the delivery of the Russian girls. Members of the Hillsboro Police Department, Jack­son County Sheriff's Department, Madison County Sheriff's De­partment, the FBI, and the INS had hidden themselves behind trees, bushes, the propane gas tank, and anything else they could find. They had parked their vehicles on another road and trekked over a mile across a field to reach the trailer.

Glenn Sykes was there, to fulfill his usual role. If anyone else had shown up to accept the shipment, the driver of the truck would have been spooked; since he was armed, no one wanted him spooked. The girls in the back of the truck had been through enough, without risking getting them killed by ricochets.

Jack lay under a big pine tree, his black clothing blending into the night shadows. The chief of any department seldom saw any action, but it had been decided that his expertise would be wel­come. According to Sykes, usually there was only the driver to contend with, but the Russians were so expensive that Phillips had wanted an extra guard to make sure nothing went wrong. The two men were outnumbered fifteen to one, but there was always the chance that one of them would try something stupid; hell, it was almost a given, unless everything worked perfectly and the lawmen had the two overwhelmed before they knew anything was happening.

A black rifle lay cradled in Jack's arms. He knew exactly how much pressure was needed to pull the trigger and how much kick to expect. He'd burned thousands of rounds of ammunition in this weapon; he knew its every idiosyncracy the smell and feel and weight of it. It was an old friend, one he hadn't realized he'd missed until he had taken it from the cabinet in his house and felt the way it settled in his arms.

Sykes was inside the trailer, the lights on, watching television. They had carefully searched the trailer to make sure he had no means of contacting the driver, but Jack thought that even if they'd had a dozen telephones lined up for him to use, Sykes wouldn't have made the call. He had coolly decided to cut his losses by co­operating fully, and he'd keep to his bargain. The D.A. had almost wept with joy at the wealth of evidence Sykes offered him and had given him a real sweetheart deal. He wouldn't even do time; five years' probation, but that was nothing to a man like Sykes.

Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

157#
 Tác giả| Đăng lúc 14-9-2012 13:09:52 | Chỉ xem của tác giả
But not right away. Anything done right now would be too suspicious. They couldn't do anything to jeopardize the shipment of Russians.

First thing, though, he had to mend fences with Nadine. It wouldn't do to have her bad-mouthing him to her little circle of friends. Gossip like that had a way of spreading like kudzu vines.

He opened the door, mustered the charm, and said, "I'm sorry, Nadine. I had no right using language like that. Jennifer and I had an argument this morning, and I'm still on edge. Then to find out she did something like that..." He let his shoulders slump.

Nadine's expression softened a little. "That's all right. I un­derstand."

He rubbed his forehead again. "Was Daisy upset when Kendra told her about the call?"

"Daisy isn't working today. Her mother called in and said she had a toothache. I have my own suspicions, but that's the story." She waggled her eyebrows, looking arch.

Nadine should never try to look arch, Temple thought; she re­sembled a flirtatious frog. "What do you mean, "suspicions'?"

"About where she is. Well, I don't know where she is, but I doubt she has a toothache."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I had to call over to the police department right before lunch, and Eva Fay said Chief Russo hadn't been in all day either."

The throb behind Temple's eyebrows worsened, "What does that have to do with Daisy?"

"You mean you haven't heard? They're seeing each other." For Nadine her satisfaction at being the first to impart this news more than made up for his rudeness and bad language.

Temple felt as if he'd been hit between the eyes with a two-by-four. "What? Seeing each other?" He could barely say the words, the shock was so great. Disaster yawned at his feet.

"Barbara Clud said they bought—well, they bought intimate ar­ticles together. Chief Russo sat with her at church on Sunday, too."

"Then it has to be serious." His voice sounded hoarse, and he made a show of clearing his throat. "Got a tickle in my throat."

Nadine fished a cough drop out of her desk and gave it to him. "I'd say it's serious, him going to church with her."

Temple nodded and escaped back into his office, trying to grasp all the ramifications of what he'd just learned. Damn it! When Russo had run that tag number for him, he'd pretended not to know whose it was. Why would he do that? What had made him hide the fact that he knew Daisy? There was no reason to unless . . . unless he knew damn well Daisy hadn't been parked in a fire lane at Dr. Bennett's office, and the only way he could know that was if he'd been with her during the time in question.

The "intimate articles" bought at Clud's Pharmacy had to be condoms, which meant they were sleeping together. Russo obvi­ously wouldn't have spent the night with Daisy at her mother's house, but he had his own house to which he could take her. Tem­ple had never thought Daisy Minor would spend the night with a man, but then he'd never thought she'd bleach her hair and go to the Buffalo Club, either. Daisy had evidently run wild.

So Russo knew he'd been lying about seeing the car. Russo wasn't a fool; he'd figure out real quick that someone else had asked Temple to find out who the car belonged to. That wasn't so bad, except for the lie. That was suspicious; Russo would wonder what was going on, and Temple didn't want a man like Russo wondering about anything he did.

Right now he had to do damage control. He had to find Sykes and call him off, he had to do something about Jennifer, and he had to make certain the shipment of Russians was handled smoothly, because the least hint of trouble at this point would be more than Mr. Phillips would tolerate.

Jennifer drove aimlessly, afraid to go home because surely Temple would have heard by now what she'd done. You couldn't keep things like that quiet in a small town. She couldn't stop crying, though she didn't know why she was crying at all, unless she was having a nervous breakdown and just didn't realize it. She couldn't do that, she thought; that would give Temple the chance to put her in a mental ward somewhere.

She had removed the little tape from the answering machine and dropped it in her purse. She would get someone to listen to it; she just didn't know who. Part of her wanted to just drive to the police department, walk in making as much noise and fuss as she could, and get someone to play the tape right there in front of everyone. That way it couldn't be disregarded, and no one would think she was drunk and imagining things. That would be the smart thing to do, but she couldn't seem to get her act together enough to do it.

She felt as if she were shaking apart on the inside; she needed a drink, needed one worse than she had ever needed one before in her life, and for the first time in her life, she was afraid to take one. Once she did, she wouldn't stop, and then she would be helpless. Her life depended on staying sober. She couldn't seem to think straight now, but she wouldn't be able to think at all if she drank.

Finally, almost automatically, she found herself on the road to Huntsville. It was the road she took to go shopping, to have her hair done. Whenever she left the house, it was to go to Huntsville. The road was nice and familiar. Twice she stopped and threw up, though she hadn't eaten anything and it was mostly dry heaves. Withdrawal symptoms, she thought; her body was rebelling against not having its accustomed alcohol. She had been dried out before, but always in a clinic, where she'd been given drugs to ease the way.

Maybe that's what she should do. Maybe she should check herself into a clinic, if she could manage to get herself all the way to Huntsville. She had done what she could, tried to warn Daisy; if she checked into a clinic, when she got out in a month, every­thing would be all over and she wouldn't have to deal with it.

Except she would have to deal with her conscience if anything happened to Daisy and she hadn't done everything she could to stop it.

She drove with both hands locked on the steering wheel, but still she couldn't seem to keep the car in the right lane. The dot­ted line seemed to wiggle back and forth, and she kept swerving, trying to stay on the right side of it. A big white car blew past, horn blaring, and she said, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." She was doing the best she could. That had never been good enough, though, not for Temple, not for Jason or Paige, not even for herself.

A horn kept blowing. She checked to make certain she wasn't accidentally leaning on her own horn, but her hands were nowhere near it. The white car had gone past, she hadn't hit it, so where was that horn coming from? Her vision swam and she wanted to lie down, but if she did, she might not be able to get up.

Where was that damn horn?

Then she saw a flash of blue, the strobe effect making her even dizzier, and the big white car was on her left, coming closer and closer, crowding her off the road. Desperately she stomped the brakes to keep from colliding with the white car, and the steering wheel jerked in her hands, tearing free of her grip. She screamed as her car began a sickening spin and her seat belt tight­ened with an almost brutal jerk, holding her as she left the road; the front axle plowed into a shallow ditch, and something hit her in the face, hard.

Haze filled the car, and in panic she began fighting to get free of the seat belt. The car was on fire, and she was going to die.

Then the car door was wrenched open and a big, olive-skinned man leaned in. "It's okay," he said in a calm tone. "That isn't smoke; it's just the dust from the air bag."

Jennifer stared at him, weeping, torn between despair and re­lief that it was all over. Now she wouldn't have to decide any­thing. If Chief Russo was working in cahoots with Temple, there was nothing she could do about it.

“Are you hurt anywhere?" he asked, squatting in the open door and examining her for any obvious injuries. "Other than your bloody nose."

Her nose was bleeding? She looked down and saw red drops splattering all over her clothing. "What caused that?" she asked, bewildered, as if there was nothing more important than finding out why she had a bloody nose.

"Air bags pack a strong wallop." He had a yellow first-aid kit in his hand and he opened it, took out a thick pad of gauze. "Here, hold it to your nose. It'll stop in a minute."

Obediently she held the pad to her nose, pinching her nostrils.

"You called the library this morning and reported a threat you overheard your husband making," Chief Russo continued, his voice still as calm as if they were discussing the weather. "I'd like you to make a statement about what you heard, if you feel like it."

Jennifer tiredly let her head fall back against the headrest. "Are you working with him?" she asked, all nasally. What did it matter? There was nothing she could do even if he said yes.

"No, ma'am, I'm not," he replied. "Maybe you haven't heard, but Daisy Minor is a special friend of mine. I take threats against her very seriously."

He could be lying. She knew that, but she didn't think so. She'd suffered too much pain at a man's hands not to notice the complete absence of threat from Chief Russo. Her purse had spilled all its contents on the floorboard when she hit the ditch; she unfastened her seat belt and slowly leaned forward, scrab­bling through the mess until she found the tiny cassette tape. "I didn't just hear it," she said. "I taped it."

TWENTY-FOUR

Mrs. Nolan was very shaky, but she was coherent. To cover all bases, Jack insisted she take a Breathalyzer test; nothing registered. She not only wasn't drunk, she hadn't had any alcohol that day. One of his investigators took her statement; then several of them listened to the answering machine tape. The mayor's voice sounded a little tinny, but recognizable.

"—grab her when she leaves the library for lunch, or when she goes home this afternoon. She'll just disappear. When Sykes handles some­thing personally, there aren't any problems."

"Really?" That was the second man, the one Mrs. Nolan iden­tified as Elton Phillips, a wealthy businessman in Scottsboro. "Then why was Mitchell's body found so fast?"

"Sykes didn't handle it. He stayed behind at the club to find out who
had seen them in the parking lot. The other two were the ones who handled
the body."

"A mistake on Mr. Sykes’s part."

"Yes."

"Then this is his last chance. And yours."

Daisy hadn't been mentioned specifically, but with the men­tion of the library and Mrs. Nolan's testimony about the part of the conversation she hadn't taped, it wasn't necessary Mitchell had been mentioned, and someone's seeing them in the parking lot of the club. With Daisy's testimony and identification of two of the men who had killed Mitchell and Temple's own voice on this tape, the mayor was firmly implicated in a murder. Mrs. Nolan didn't understand the reference she'd overheard about a shipment of Russians, but Jack was beginning to have nasty suspicions.

Regardless, the mayor and his friend were nailed.

Eva Fay was one of the people gathered around listening to the tape. She put her hands on her hips. "Why, that snake."

His people were angry, Jack saw. Investigators, patrol officers, and office personnel alike were incensed. He was no longer the outsider, but one of them, and his woman had been threatened. Not just any woman, but Daisy Minor, whom most of them had known for years. The bad thing about living in a small town was that everything became a personal issue. The good thing about living in a small town was that everything became a personal issue. During times of trouble, the support system was massive.

"Let's bring the mayor in for questioning," he said quietly, keeping a firm lid on his own anger. Daisy was safe; that was the important thing. "Contact the Scottsboro P.D. and have Mr. Phillips picked up, too." He would have liked to have thrown up a net to catch this Mr. Sykes, but he didn't have the manpower to block every street in town to check licenses. Sykes worried him, but as long as Daisy stayed put, Sykes couldn't find her.

"I've kept everything off radio," said Tony Marvin. "He won't have a clue we're on to him."

"Sure he will. Remember Kendra Owens? Do you think she's gone all day without mentioning Mrs. Nolan's call to anyone else?"

"Not Kendra," said Eva Fay. "She's sweet, but she loves to talk."

"Then we have to assume the mayor knows Mrs. Nolan called us. He'll be on guard, but he doesn't know about the tape, so he may not have bolted. C'mon, let's get this ball rolling."

The damn Minor woman wasn't anywhere in town, which made Sykes very nervous. She hadn't shown up at work; she hadn't been at home. She simply wasn't there. When people veered so far out of their normal routine, something was up.

He even called the library, taking care to use a pay phone in case they had Caller ID—not likely in a municipal building, but possible, and that damn call-return service meant he had to be cautious all the time anyway—and asked for Miss Minor. The woman who answered gave him no information other than that Miss Minor wasn't in that day, but there was an underlying ten­sion, a stiffness, in her voice that worried him even more.

Okay, he wasn't going to get the Minor woman today. That was a setback, not a catastrophe.

But what had the woman at the library so on edge?

It was a small detail, the nervousness in a woman's voice, but it was the little details that would jump up and bite you on the ass when you least expected it, if you didn't pay attention and take care of them. His instinct told him it was time to pay attention.

He called the mayor on his private line, but there was no an­swer. That was another worrisome detail. If he knew the mayor, he'd planned to stay in his office all day long, providing himself with an airtight alibi in regard to Miss Minor's disappearance, just in case.

His next call was to the mayor's cell phone. No answer. Really uneasy now, Sykes called the mayor's house. Nolan himself picked up on the second ring.

"The Minor woman isn't working today," Sykes said. "I'm calling it a day."

"Sykes! Thank God!"

The mayor sounded winded and on the verge of losing con­trol, which wasn't good at all.

"Listen, we're in trouble. We have to get our stories straight, back each other up. All we have to do is lie low for a while and I think it'll blow over."

"Trouble? How?" Sykes kept his voice mild.

"Jennifer overheard me talking to Mr. Phillips this morning, and the drunk bitch called the library, asking for Daisy. She wasn't there, so Jennifer told Kendra Owens that I was plotting to have Daisy Minor killed."

Jesus. Sykes pinched the bridge of his nose between his eyes. If the mayor had just used an ounce of caution in his telephone conversation—

"What did Kendra Owens do?" His question was just a mat­ter of form. He knew damn well what Kendra Owens had done.

"She called the police department. It's a good thing Jen­nifer's a drunk, because I don't think anyone believed her, but if you'd grabbed Daisy today, it would have raised all sorts of ques­tions."

Great. Now the Hillsboro cops were alerted.

"There's one other thing."

With an effort, Sykes remained calm. "What else?"

"Chief Russo and Daisy are romantically involved."

“And this interests me, how?"

"Russo is the one I called to run the tag number for you yes­terday. I told him I'd seen the car parked in a fire lane at a doc­tor's office. He knows I lied, because he knew she wasn't sick.

And when he gave me the information, he pretended not to know her."

Okay, so now we had a suspicious chief of police. It was those damn details again; Nolan had added too many, and they'd tripped him up. If he'd just asked the chief to run the license plate, without explanation, then the chief would want to know why the mayor was running his girlfriend's tag number, but he wouldn't know Nolan had lied. For that matter, why did Nolan have to get the damn chief of police to run a simple tag number? But, no, Nolan couldn't use a lowly peon; he had to get the head man, just to show his power.

"I came home to find Jennifer, shut her up, but the bitch isn't here."

"That's good. Her turning up dead after making a call like that wouldn't look good."

"She's a drunk," said Nolan dismissively "Drunks have wrecks all the time."

"Maybe they do, but the timing would still be suspicious. Just lay low."

Nolan didn't seem to hear him. "Maybe I'll take her for an­other visit to Mr. Phillips. He'd like that, but she wouldn't." The thought pleased him, because he laughed.

He was dealing with idiots. Sykes closed his eyes. "The police might be keeping an eye on her, so Phillips wouldn't like it if you led them straight to him."

"No. You're right. I have to find her, anyway She said some­thing about having her hair done, and she's just stupid enough to make a call like that, then toddle off to the beauty salon."

Or the police had brought her in to make a statement, which was the most likely thing. Didn't Nolan know a damn thing about police procedure? They didn't just blow off a call like that, especially when the subject was the chief's squeeze. Miss Minor had conveniently disappeared, Mrs. Nolan was also missing and probably at the police department, and the next step was to pick up the mayor for questioning.

This wasn't good at all. After Nolan's performance yesterday and today, Sykes had drastically revised downward his opinion of the mayor. He was cold-blooded, but he didn't hold up under pressure, and he let his ego get in the way of clear thinking. What would happen when the cops started asking him questions? Nolan might hold the line, but if he got rattled, Sykes figured he'd try to cut a deal and roll over on everyone else.

Well, he couldn't let that happen.

"How good a cop is the chief?" he asked.

"Damn good. He was a SWAT team member in Chicago, then in New York. I was lucky to get him for a small town like Hillsboro."

Yeah, lucky the way a turtle crossing a busy highway was lucky: it took a miracle to get him across unsquashed. Sykes didn't figure Nolan had any miracles coming. He'd picked a chief who was at home on the front lines, one who would act aggres­sively in dealing with a threat to his woman. The only thing work­ing in their favor at this point, as far as he could see, was that Mitchell's death and the discovery of his body hadn't happened in Russo's jurisdiction.

Then a thought occurred to him. "Did you mention Mitchell this morning when you were talking to Mr. Phillips?"

"That was why Mr. Phillips called. He wasn't happy that the body had been found so fast, and I explained to him that it was because you hadn't handled it yourself."

So Nolan had mentioned not only Mitchell, but Sykes's name as well. Mrs. Nolan didn't know them, but now she had their names. This whole thing was unraveling so fast Sykes couldn't even begin to catch the threads.

"Tell you what," said Sykes. "Just sit tight, pretend nothing unusual is going on, and they can't touch us." Yeah, right. "Nothing has happened, no attempts have been made against Miss Minor, so no crime has been committed. Russo might wonder why you lied about her tag number, but so what? Stick to your story. Maybe you wrote the number down wrong, transposed some numbers or something."

"Good idea."

"If they question you about Mrs. Nolan's telephone call, tell them you have no idea what she's talking about. Was she drink­ing this morning?"

"She's always drinking," said Nolan.

"Did you see her have a drink?"

"No, but she was clumsy, falling over stuff."

The way things were going, if Nolan thought his wife was drunk, Sykes was willing to bet she'd been stone-cold sober.

"Do you think Russo will ask me any questions?"

Is the sun coming up tomorrow? "Probably. Don't sweat it; just follow the plan."

"Should I warn Mr. Phillips?"

"I wouldn't. Let this blow over, and he'll never know anything about it. We'll handle this shipment of Russians and he'll be happy as a clam."

"Shit, I forgot about the shipment."

"No problem. I've got it covered," said Sykes, and discon­nected.

What he had here, he thought, was a major fuckup. The mayor's wife had his, Sykes's, name, and Mitchell's. If Russo was half the cop Nolan thought he was, he had Mrs. Nolan's statement and was checking out everything she said. Mitchell hadn't been found in his jurisdiction, but with goddamn com­puters everywhere, all Russo had to do was a search and, lo and behold, there was a dead man named Mitchell. That would re­ally get things stirred up, and when they began wondering what a dead man named Mitchell had to do with Daisy Minor, they'd show her Mitchell's photograph and she just might remember where she'd seen him—and the three men who had been with him.

Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

156#
 Tác giả| Đăng lúc 14-9-2012 13:07:41 | Chỉ xem của tác giả
TWENTY-TWO

“Just where are you planning on stashing me?" Daisy asked when they were in the car. "I have the puppy with me, re­member?"

"Like I could forget," Jack muttered. "I don't like the idea of stashing you anywhere, but it's the only logical thing to do. Some motels take pets; I'll call the local Triple A and find one."

"I don't have any clothes with me," she pointed out. "Or books."

"I'll send someone by your house to pack some things for you."

She thought about that. "Send Todd. He'll know what to get."

"I told you, Todd isn't gay."

"That doesn't matter. He knows what separates go together, and what makeup to bring."

"Eva Fay—"

"Todd."

"All right," he said under his breath. "I'll send Todd."

In the end, he didn't have to call Triple A to locate a motel that accepted pets; they drove by a new place that had just been built off 1-565, pulled in, and checked, and it did have two rooms allocated for people with small pets. Both rooms were empty at the time, so Jack chose the one that faced the rear. He checked her in under a false name—she was now Julia Patrick, he in­formed her when he got back into the car and drove around the building to her assigned room.

He unlocked the door and carried in Midas's things while Daisy let the puppy investigate a patch of grass and chase a but­terfly. He was too young to do much chasing; after a few minutes, he flopped on his belly to rest. The heat was almost searing, too hot to let him play outside without any shade to shelter him. She carried him inside the blessedly cool room and gave him some water, and with a tired sigh he settled down on his blanket.

"I'll be back tonight with your things," he said. "I don't know what time, but I'll call first. Don't open the door to anyone ex­cept me."

She sat down on the king-size bed. "All right." She wouldn't beg him to stay, though she wanted to. She had been leaning on those strong shoulders all day long, she realized, letting him han­dle everything. Of course, murder was his field of expertise, so to speak; he knew exactly what to do.

She wanted to ask him how long she'd have to stay here, but that was a silly question: he had no real idea. Morrison might lo­cate Lemmons and Calvin right away, or the two might have left town. They might locate Sykes, or they might not. Jennifer Nolan's testimony might be reliable, but everyone in town knew she was an alcoholic; if she'd been drinking this morning, that had to call her statement into question. Everything was up in the air.

Jack had been a rock. Daisy knew she would have managed without him, but it had been nice to have him planning the course of action, taking care of her family, even keeping Midas oc­cupied while she looked through the mountain of mug shots.

He sat down beside her and put his arm around her, hugging her close to his side. "Are you all right?"

"I'm still feeling a little stunned," she admitted. "This is so ... unreal. I watched a man die, and I didn't even realize."

"You don't expect to see a murder. Unless there's a shot or a big fight, most people wouldn't notice. It's too far outside their experience." He tilted her chin up and kissed her. "I'm glad it was outside your experience," he murmured.

Until he kissed her, she hadn't realized how much she had been craving him, his taste and touch, the hot male scent. She put her arms around his neck and whispered, "Don't go just yet."

"I need to," he said, but he didn't get up from the bed. Instead his arm tightened about her and his other hand slid down to her breasts, stroking over them before beginning to unbutton her blouse. Daisy closed her eyes as bliss began unfurling inside her, made all the stronger by the stress of the day. For a little while, so long as he touched her, she could forget and relax.

She tugged his T-shirt free and slid her hands under it, flat­tening her palms against the heavy muscles of his back.

“All right, you convinced me," he said, shucking the shirt off over his head and standing to unfasten his belt. Jeans, underwear, socks, and shoes came off in one rough motion, and he left them on the floor, tumbling to the big bed and taking her with him. Her sandals dropped to the carpet. He wrestled her out of her blouse and bra, tossing both garments toward the dresser on the other side of the room.

He pressed kisses to her stomach as he unzipped her denim skirt and peeled it down, then trailed up to her breasts and sucked her nipples until they were hard and flushed with color, sticking out like raspberries. She felt dizzy, but was ravenous for more. She couldn't get enough of him, couldn't satisfy the urge to touch him, because every texture made her want more.

"It's my turn," she said, pushing on his shoulders.

He obediently rolled over onto his back and covered his eyes with a forearm. "This is going to kill me," he muttered.

"Maybe not."

Thoroughly delighted with this opportunity, she cupped his testicles in both hands, feeling the weight and softness of his scro­tum, the hardness within. She buried her face against him, inhal­ing the musty scent, darting her tongue out to taste. His penis jerked against her cheek, enticing her, so she turned her head and took him in.

He groaned and his hands fisted in the bedspread.

She had no mercy, not that he asked for any. She tasted and licked and stroked until his powerful body was drawn like a bow, arching on the bed. Then she stopped, sat back, and said, "I think that's enough."

An almost inhuman sound rumbled in his chest and he jack-knifed, grabbing her and twisting and coming down on top of her. She laughed as he fiercely stripped her panties down and pushed her legs apart, settling between them and positioning himself for the strong, single thrust that took him to the hilt and changed her laughter to a groan. She drew her legs up, clasping them around his hips, trying to contain both the depth of his strokes and the wildness of her response. She wanted to savor every moment, not rush headlong into climax, but already she could feel the tension building.

He stopped, his muscles flexing with tension. "Fuck," he said between gritted teeth. "I don't have a condom."

Their eyes met, his narrowed with the savagery of the control he was trying to retain over his body, hers wide with sudden awareness.

His hips rocked as if he couldn't hold still another moment. "Do you want me to stop?" His face was grim with the effort it took him to make the offer. Sweat gleamed on his forehead and shoulders, despite the air conditioner blowing directly on the bed.

Common sense said yes. A lifetime of responsible behavior said yes. They shouldn't take the risk, or any more risk than they already had just in his unprotected penetration. Some deep, prim­itive instinct, however, craved the feel of him inside her, and her lips moved, forming the word No.

His control broke, and he began thrusting deep and hard, over and over, and what had begun as simple pleasure became something more, something wrenching and powerful. Daisy clung to him because she could do nothing else, because with that one word she had demanded everything he could give her and could hold back none of herself. She arched in climax, her heels digging into his thighs, the shuddering starting deep and spreading out in convulsive waves. For a long moment she stopped breathing, stopped thinking, caught on a peak of sensa­tion so sharp it blurred the world around her. Then it faded and slowly she went limp, muscle by muscle, legs and arms falling open and releasing him to move fast and strong in his own or­gasm.

His heavy weight crushed her into the mattress, but she couldn't find either the strength or the will to protest. He was ut­terly limp, his heartbeat slamming against his rib cage, his breath rushing in and out of his heaving lungs. Maybe they dozed; time certainly seemed to disappear.

After a while, groaning with the effort, he withdrew and
moved off her to lie on his side and hold her close. Daisy buried
her face against his throat, acutely aware of the wetness between
her legs. This could be a disaster. But it didn't feel like a disaster;
it felt. . .right.

Gently he stroked her. She tried to think of something to say, but there didn't seem to be anything to say, nothing that needed saying. All she needed to do was come to terms with what lay be­tween them, a sudden awareness that this was much more than an affair.

It couldn't be. Could it?

"God, I've got to get back to the office," he muttered. "I can't believe I let myself get sidetracked like this."

"I'm sure five minutes one way or another won't make much difference," she consoled.

He opened one eye and glared at her. "Five minutes? I beg your pardon. I've been better than five minutes since I was sixteen."

She twisted around to look at the clock on the bedside table. The problem was, she didn't know if they had dozed, or for how long. She decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. "Then I'm sure an hour one way or another—"

"An hour! Shit!"

He bolted out of bed and went into the bathroom. She heard the sound of water running, the toilet flushed, then he came back out and went to the foot of the bed, where he'd left his clothes on the floor. He looked down and froze.

Alarmed by his expression, Daisy struggled up on her elbows.

He looked up then, and in a very even tone said, "Your dog ate my shorts."

She tried not to laugh; she really did. She managed to hold it in for about one second; then giggles started shaking her like little earthquakes. Once one erupted, they immediately morphed into a belly laugh that rolled her onto her side, holding her stomach as if she could contain them that way.

He bent down and picked up the puppy, holding him at eye level. It was impossible to deny Midas's guilt, because shreds of the dark green boxers were hanging from his mouth. He seemed very happy about it, too, wagging his tail at a frantic beat, pad­dling his feet as he tried to get within licking distance.

Jack said, "Fuzzbutt, you're a pain in the ass." But he said it in an almost crooning tone, and he cuddled the puppy to him as he removed the shreds from the little mouth.

Daisy looked at the fuzzy puppy and the big, naked man holding him so gently, and she thought her heart would leap right out of her chest. She had already been halfway there, but in that moment she fell completely, irrevocably in love.

No, this wasn't an affair, at least not on her part. It was much, much more.

He put Midas on the bed, leaving Daisy to deal with the puppy while he got dressed. As she fended off big feet and a madly licking tongue, Daisy watched the jeans slide up over his naked butt and had some very lascivious thoughts.

When he was dressed, he leaned over her and kissed her, and the kiss became longer and deeper than either of them had in­tended. Spots of color burned high on his cheekbones when he pulled back, and his eyes were narrowed again. "You're danger­ous," he muttered.

“All I'm doing is lying here." She caught Midas as he began pulling on the bedspread, told him no, and removed the fabric from his mouth.

"That's what I said. A naked woman and a fuzzy puppy: what more can a man want? Well, maybe a beer. And a good ball game on the tube. And—"

She grabbed one of the pillows and threw it at him. "Go!"

"I'm going. Remember, don't open the door—"

"—to anyone but you," she finished.

"I don't know what time I'll be back. There's a Huddle House next door if you get hungry." He scribbled some numbers on the notepad by the bed. "This is my cell number, the number of my office, and Todd's numbers here and at home. Call any or all of them if you need anything."

"Why do you have Todd's numbers?" she asked curiously.

"I might have known you'd ask," he muttered.

"Well, why do you?"

"Because he's helping us locate Sykes. He has some good con­tacts we're using." He kissed her again, scratched Midas behind the ears, then was out the door and gone.

Daisy climbed slowly out of bed, her legs protesting. Midas went over to examine the big wet spot on the bedspread, and she hastily grabbed him, setting him on the carpet. He followed her to the bathroom, nosily sniffing around as she washed off.

Embarrassed by the thought of the motel maids finding the bedspread in that condition, Daisy industriously worked at the spot with a wet washcloth and a hand towel until she was certain nothing would show when the spot was dry.

Her first wet spot, she thought, staring at the dark circle. She hoped it was the first of many, because she wanted Jack Russo to be the father of her children.

It remained to be seen whether or not he wanted the same thing. He hadn't run when her mother had made that pointed comment about the kind of mother-in-law she was, but then he wouldn't, not with a murder investigation going on and her to protect. He wasn't a man who shirked his responsibilities.

She really should have made him stop, she thought as she dressed. She didn't want him to marry her because she got preg­nant; she wanted him to love her. This time it would probably be okay—the timing wasn't right—but Mother Nature had a way of playing tricks and she wouldn't breathe easy until she got her pe­riod.

She sat down and looked around the motel room. As motel rooms went, she supposed, it was nice. It was larger than normal, maybe because it was one of the rooms for people with pets. There was a recliner for sitting, a round table with two chairs, and a tiny refrigerator with a four-cup coffeemaker sitting on top. The bathroom was functional but unremarkable.

Now what?

On impulse, she got out the phone book and looked up Sykes. She didn't know this particular Sykes's first name or where he lived, so there was no point in the exercise, but she looked at the list of Sykeses and thought about calling each one. She could say something like, "Mr. Sykes, this is Daisy Minor. I hear you're try­ing to kill me."

Not a great idea. What if he had Caller ID? That would tell him where she was.

She didn't normally watch much television, but there was nothing else to do. Midas had decided to have another snooze; when he woke, she would carry him out again, but how much time would that occupy? She picked up the remote, settled in the recliner, and turned on the television.

She didn't like waiting and doing nothing. She didn't like it at all.

At least her family was out of reach. Daisy knew she would have been a nervous wreck if Jack hadn't gotten them out of town. Her mother was sure to call this evening to reassure herself Daisy was all right, and she'd be worried when there was no answer. On the other hand, Jack seemed to think of everything, so he had probably given her mother his cell phone number or another way she could check.

But what about Jack? She went cold. It was no secret they were involved, not after the way he had sat beside her in church. What if Mayor Nolan heard the gossip and told this Sykes to go after Jack as a way of flushing her out of hiding?

She made a dive for the telephone and called Jack's cell phone. He answered after one ring. "Russo."

"You have to be careful, too," she said fiercely.

"What?"

"If the mayor finds out we're involved, that makes you a tar­get just the way my family was."

"There's a difference between your family and me."

She loved them all, so she couldn't see this difference. "Such as?"

"I'm armed."

"Just be careful. Promise me."

"I promise." He paused. "Are you all right?"

"Bored. Hurry back with those books."

Daisy fretted after she hung up, pacing around the room. She hated being stashed here out of the way not knowing what was going on, not being able to help. It wasn't in her nature to just sit and wait. Once she identified a chore or a problem, she couldn't rest until it was handled.

Something had to happen soon, or she'd go crazy.

Jack frowned as he broke the connection. Daisy already sounded restless, which wasn't good. He needed to know she was doing ex­actly as he'd told her; he needed to know she was safe so he could concentrate on finding Sykes.

The call he had received right before Daisy's had him worried, though. One of his detectives had gone out to the Nolan place, but Mrs. Nolan hadn't been there. They hadn't located her yet. If Kendra Owens had gossiped about that phone call, it could al­ready have gotten back to the mayor.

The little hairs on the back of his neck were standing up again.

TWENTY-THREE

Nadine hesitated in the doorway of Temple's office, her indecision plain on her face. He looked up, irritated. He'd been on edge all day, waiting to hear from Sykes, wondering if he'd al­ready accomplished the mission. The phone call from Mr. Phillips hadn't been a joy, either. People who disappointed or ran afoul of Elton Phillips wound up dead. If Sykes didn't succeed this time, Temple knew he'd have to do something to placate Phillips. Kill Sykes, maybe. The prospect of killing Sykes worried him, because Glenn Sykes wasn't a fool and he wouldn't be an easy man to kill.

Nadine still lingered in the doorway and Temple snapped, "For God's sake, Nadine, what is it?"

She looked taken aback at his unusual irritability. Temple al­most never let himself show temper; it wasn't good for the image. Today, though, he had other things besides his damn image to worry about.

Nadine wrung her hands. "I've never said anything before. I think people's private lives are just that, private. But I think you should know what Mrs. Nolan did today"

Jesus, not now. Temple covered his eyes, massaging the ache that ran under his eyebrows. "Jennifer has . . . problems," he man­aged to say, the way he had so many times in the past when he wanted to elicit sympathy. It was his pat answer, one he didn't have to think about.

"Yes, sir, I know."

When she didn't continue, Temple sighed, realizing he'd have to prompt her rather than say what he really wanted to say—that he didn't give a good goddamn what the bitch did, he hoped she'd T-boned a power pole and killed herself.

"What has she done this time?" That was another pat re­sponse, showing his patience and weariness.

Now that he had asked, Nadine spat the words out as if she couldn't hold them in any longer. "She called the library and told Kendra Owens you were trying to have Daisy Minor killed."

"What?" Temple shot up from his chair, color leeching out of his face. His knees wobbled in shock, and he had to grab the edge of his desk. My God. Oh, my God. He remembered the sudden uneasy feeling he'd had this morning, the one that had made him check to see what Jennifer was doing. The bitch had been listening in on her bedroom extension. Mr. Phillips would kill him. Literally.

"Kendra didn't take her seriously, of course, but she was wor­ried in case Mrs. Nolan did something, you know, sort of foolish, so she called the police department and reported it."

"The fucking bitch!" Temple said fiercely, and he didn't know if he meant Jennifer or Kendra, or both.

Nadine stepped back, more than a little affronted by his lan­guage. "I thought you ought to know," she said stiffly, and closed the connecting door with a bang.

With a shaking hand Temple picked up his private line and called Sykes's number. After the sixth ring, he replaced the re­ceiver. Sykes wasn't at home, of course; he was waiting to follow Daisy home from work. After Jennifer's stupid call, if Daisy had disappeared after lunch, the police department would have been on full alert, hunting for her, so the lack of action meant nothing had happened yet. He had to find Sykes and tell him to call off the whole thing. If anything happened to Daisy now, he, Temple, would be number one on the list of suspects.

Something had to be done about Jennifer. With her drinking history, though, it would be easy to set up an "accident." Bash her in the head, run her car into the river, and be done with it.

Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

155#
 Tác giả| Đăng lúc 14-9-2012 13:06:05 | Chỉ xem của tác giả
"No joke. Next time, make sure I'm not using the phone be­fore you pick up and just start punching numbers." He didn't wait to see if she agreed; he just turned around and left. Jennifer rested her head against the sink, taking deep breaths and trying to slow her pulse rate. When she felt steady enough, she got up and washed her face, rinsed out her mouth, then used a wash­cloth to wipe the toothpaste out of her hair.

She hadn't turned off the answering machine recorder. She went back into her bedroom; Temple had left the door open, so she went over and closed it again, then went to the phone and stopped the recording.

That little tape was golden. The question was, what did she do with it? Who could she take it to? Temple had often said that the new police chief, Russo, was "his" boy, meaning he had Russo in his pocket. He'd been glad when old Chief Reason retired, be­cause Reason had been around a long time and had his nose poked into too many things, knew too many secrets. It remained to be seen if Russo was as blind as Temple thought him to be, but Jennifer couldn't take the chance right now. It was too important that she get this right.

She stayed in her room another half hour, then went down­stairs to see if Temple had left. He wasn't in his office, so she checked the garage; his car was gone.

Finally! Seating herself at his desk, she looked up the number for the library and quickly dialed it.

"Hillsboro Public Library."

Jennifer took a calming breath. "May I speak to Daisy Minor, please? This is Jennifer Nolan."

"I'm sorry, but Daisy isn't working today. This is Kendra Owens; may I help you with something?"

“Dear Lord, now what? "Is she at home? Can I reach her there?"

"Well, I don't know. Her mother said she had a toothache, so she's probably at the dentist's office."

"Do you know which dentist she uses?" Jennifer felt her con­trol slipping. She needed a drink so bad. No. No, she did not need a drink; she needed to concentrate on what she was doing.

"No, I don't."

"This is important, damn it! Think! I need to get in touch with her immediately; someone is going to try to kill her."

"Excuse me? Ma'am? What did you say?"

"You heard me!" Jennifer clenched the receiver so tightly her knuckles turned white. "You have to find her! I heard my hus­band on the phone talking to a man named Sykes who's going to kill her, unless I can warn her first."

"Maybe you'd better call the police—"

Jennifer slammed down the phone and buried her face in her hands. Now what? Dentists. How many dentists could there by in Hillsboro? Not many, but what if Daisy went to a dentist in, say, Fort Payne? Or Scottsboro?

No, wait. Call Daisy's mother and find out which dentist she used.

She looked up that number, but the phone rang and rang, and no one answered.

Jennifer flipped to the Yellow Pages, located Dentists-Dentistry, and began dialing. She couldn't give up now. She'd failed at a lot in her life, but she couldn't fail at this.

TWENTY-ONE

“Dogs aren't allowed in public buildings unless they're service dogs," he said for the fifth time when they were on their way to Huntsville.

Daisy looked over her shoulder at Midas, who was asleep on his blanket in the backseat. "They'll let him in unless they want to take my statement in the parking lot."

Jack had argued the whole time she was putting Midas's dishes in his car, along with a supply of food and water: He had argued when she clipped the leash to the puppy's tiny collar. He had argued when she spread the blanket on the backseat and de­posited Midas on it, along with his stuffed duck and rubber chew toy. He had argued until she got into the passenger seat and fas­tened her seat belt, and then he'd gotten behind the wheel with­out another word.

As far as Daisy was concerned, the subject of Midas was closed. Anyone who would kill another human being wouldn't hesitate to kill a dog; Midas was under her guardianship now, and she wouldn't leave him in the house alone, helpless and unpro­tected.

"I've been thinking about that night," she said, absently watching the mountains as they drove. "I saw their faces when they came out of the club, because the neon sign was shining down on them. There were two of the men, with Mitchell be­tween them. The third man was waiting in the parking lot. Then a car pulled in and the headlights caught them, and I saw the faces of all three because they looked at the car. I didn't know any of them, but I can describe them."

"Just get the details straight in your mind, and hold them there." He reached over and took her hand. "Everything will be all right."

"I know." She managed a smile. "You promised my mother."

They reached the building that housed the Madison County Sheriff's Investigation and Patrol offices at nine-thirty. It was a two-story sixties-type building, yellow brick on bottom and peb­bled concrete on top, with long, narrow, vertical windows. The sign on top said Forensic Sciences Building. The departments of forensic sciences and public safety were also in the building.

"Huh," said Daisy. "I might have known it would be here."  He looked puzzled. "Why?"

She turned and pointed. "Because you just passed a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop."

"Do me a favor," he said. "Don't mention it to them."

He put his cell phone in his pocket, then gathered Midas's paraphernalia while Daisy got the puppy out of the car and car­ried him to a little patch of grass. He obediently squatted, she praised him, and he pranced at her heels as if he knew he'd been a very good boy. He didn't like the leash, though, and caught it in his mouth. Every few steps he'd stop and bat at it. Finally she picked him up, cradling him on her shoulder as if he were a baby. Content, he licked her chin.

No sooner had they stepped inside the building than a female deputy said, "You can't bring the dog in here."

Daisy immediately stepped back outside and waited. Unwill­ing to leave her out there by herself even though he was certain they hadn't been followed, Jack said to the deputy "Please call Detective Morrison and tell him Chief Russo is here with the wit­ness," and went back outside himself to wait with her.

The summer heat was already broiling, and the humidity was so high the air felt thick and heavy. Daisy lifted her face to the sun­shine anyway, as if she needed the light. They didn't say anything, just waited until Detective Morrison came outside with a quizzical expression on his dark face. "Deputy Sasnett said you brought your dog—" He broke off when he saw the puppy, his expression changing to a grin. "That isn't a dog. That's a ball of fluff."

Jack offered his hand. "I'm Jack Russo, Hillsboro's chief. This is Daisy Minor, the witness I told you about. Where she goes, the ball of fluff goes."

He shook Jack's hand, scratched his head, and said, "I'll be right back." Five minutes later, having cleared the way, he led Jack, Daisy, and Midas to his office.

Midas was an angel, sitting on Daisy's lap while she calmly told the detective what she'd seen Saturday night. Yes, she was certain the man in the middle was the man who had introduced himself to her the week before as Mitchell, and, yes, she was cer­tain that was his photograph in the paper. She described what he'd been wearing, to the best of her memory: jeans, boots, and a light-colored western-style shirt. Detective Morrison quietly passed Jack the crime scene photos. The clothes were dirty, since the body had been buried, but they were as Daisy had described them. That meant Mitchell hadn't changed clothes from the time Daisy saw him in the Buffalo Club parking lot, which definitely upped the chances that he had been killed that night.

"Do you want to see them?" Jack asked Daisy.

She shook her head, and he passed the photos back to Detec­tive Morrison.

Jack's cell phone rang. He took it out of his pocket, looked at the number showing in the window, and said, "It's the office. I'll take it outside."

He stepped out into the hall before hitting the talk button. "Russo."

"Chief, this is Marvin." Tony Marvin was the first-shift desk sergeant. He sounded uneasy, as if he wasn't certain he should be calling. "Kendra Owens just called from the library. Jennifer Nolan, the mayor's wife, called wanting to speak to Miss Minor, and when Kendra told her she wasn't there, Mrs. Nolan became very agitated. She said Miss Minor's life was in danger, that she'd overheard the mayor on the phone with a man named Sykes. Mrs. Owens said Mrs. Nolan seemed convinced they intended to kill Miss Minor. Since you had us put that protective detail on Miss Minor's mother and aunt this morning, I thought you should know about this."

The little hairs on the back of Jack's neck stood up. "You're exactly right, Tony. It's looking like the mayor's in trouble up to his ass. Have Mrs. Nolan picked up; take her statement." He paused, thinking. "Keep her there. Put her in one of the interview rooms and hold her."

"Mrs. Nolan, Chief?"

"Her life could be in danger, too."

"You mean this isn't just a case of Mrs. Nolan hitting the bot­tle way too early?"

"I wish it was. Get a deputy out to the Nolan house as fast as possible."

"Yes, sir," said the sergeant. "Uh, what do you want me to do when the mayor hears about this?" Tony said "when," not "if," because in a small town there was no "if."

"Stall him. Blow him off. Make it sound as if she's drunk and you don't believe a word she's said. I don't want to spook him until we have her statement."

"Okay, Chief."

"And don't put anything on the radio about it; telephone con­tact only. That'll buy us some time."

Jack disconnected and called Todd, and brought him up to speed. "Jennifer Nolan's statement will give us reasonable grounds for getting a court order on those phone records, so if you don't already have them, now we can get them legally. She gave us a name, too: Sykes."

"It's always nice to do it legally," Todd said dryly.

"Before, I was just curious and uneasy. It's different now." Now that he knew there was a crime involved, everything had to be by the book. He didn't mind bending the rules—or outright breaking them—when it was personal, but it was more than per­sonal now. He didn't want this case thrown out of court because of a technicality.

"I'll see what I can find on Sykes. If he's had so much as a speeding ticket, I'll find him."

Jack stepped back into the detective's office and told them what was going on. Detective Morrison made quick notes, his left hand bent in that peculiar position so many lefties used. "If your mayor was involved with Chad Mitchell, he isn't particular about his friends. Mitchell was a bottom-feeder; we've had him on re­sisting, possession, attempted rape, theft, B and E. We got him last year on date rape, but the prosecutor couldn't make it stick. He never did any major time, six months here, a year there."

"Possession," said Jack. "Of what, exactly?"

Morrison consulted his file. "Marijuana, mostly. A small amount of cocaine. Rohypnol, clonazepam, GHB."

"He was big on the date-rape drugs."

"How does Mayor Nolan fit in with this?" Daisy asked. "He wasn't one of the three men I saw with Mitchell, but he has to be involved somehow."

"My guess is Sykes was one of the three, though, and Sykes is tied to the mayor in some shady deal they're working."

"That's the most logical scenario," said Morrison, getting to his feet. "Miss Minor, you said you saw them briefly, but clearly. I know it'll take a lot of time, but I'd like you to look at our mug shots, see if you recognize anybody. Don't guess; be sure, because if you aren't, the defense lawyer will tear the case apart."

Midas had been an angel the whole time, sitting in Daisy's lap, but when she stood up to follow Detective Morrison, he de­cided it was time to do some exploring and began wriggling madly in his effort to get down. Daisy set him on his feet, and he imme­diately made a dive for the detective's shoes. "Quick, where's his duck?" she said as she rescued shoelaces, which was more difficult than it should have been because Detective Morrison started laughing and shuffling his feet, sending Midas into a spasm of joy at the new game.

"Here." Jack separated the duck from the rest of puppy things he'd brought in with him, and tossed the duck across the floor. Seeing a new target, and one that was evidently running from him, Midas abandoned Morrison's shoes and bounced after the duck. When he captured the escapee, he gave it a hard shake, then tossed it over his head and pounced again.

"I'm sorry," Daisy apologized. "I just got him yesterday, and he's only six weeks old, so I couldn't leave him alone, especially not knowing if whoever was looking for me might hurt Midas if he couldn't find me."

"Yes, ma'am, some folks are mean," the detective agreed. "It's best to be safe. Tell you what; since you have the puppy, I'll bring the mug shots in here for you to look at. That way he won't get too excited, seeing a lot of people at once."

"That's a real good idea," Jack said, grabbing the duck before Midas could get to it, and tossing it again. His black eyes bright with glee, Midas bounced and pounced, then dragged the duck back to Jack and dropped it at his feet.

"Well, look at that," said Morrison, marveling. "Didn't take him long to catch on, did it?"

Jack was still throwing the duck when the detective came back, his arms laden with pages of mugshots. Entranced with the game, Midas ignored Morrison's return.

Daisy settled at the desk with the photographs in front her, for the first time realizing the enormity of the task. This wasn't a matter of looking at fifty pictures, or even a few hundred. There had to be thousands of them, and the photographer seemed to be particularly unskilled, because the photographs could scarcely have been more unflattering to the subjects.

She closed her eyes and pictured the three men she'd seen, then picked out the most distinctive face: long, narrow, with prominent brow ridges. He'd had long, dirty blond hair and long sideburns, a distinctly unappealing style. Hair could be changed, though—she was an expert on that—so she disregarded that and concentrated on face shapes. She could also automatically disregard anyone in a minority. By adapting the system she'd learned in a speed-reading course, she began skimming pages and turning them at a faster clip, occasionally pausing to study a face and then move on.

After fifteen minutes, Midas lay down on her feet to take a nap. Daisy stopped to glance down at him, and Jack used the op­portunity to ask, "Do you want something to drink? Coffee? A soft drink?"

"I don't recommend the coffee," said Morrison.

Daisy shook her head. "I'm fine."

Morrison said, "Then I'll leave you to it. I have some calls to make, so I'll borrow an office and check back when I'm fin­ished."

Minutes ticked by, marked only by the soft swish of the pages as she turned them. Midas eventually roused, and Jack took him outside. When he came back, with the puppy prancing on the end of the leash as if he'd done something wonderful, Jack said, "It's time for lunch, You need to take a break."

"I'm not hungry," she said absently.

“I am.”

She looked up in amusement. "You ate four times what I did at breakfast."

"Which is why you need to eat. If I'm hungry, you have to be."

"In a little while." She turned her attention back to the pages, blinked, put her finger on a photo, and said in a positive tone, "That's one of the men."

The man's hair was shorter in the photo, but his sleazy side­burns were still long, the color was still dirty blond, and the Ne­anderthal brow ridges hadn't changed.

Jack briefly studied the photograph, said, "I'll get Morrison," and disappeared out the door.

Daisy sighed and gently rubbed her eyes. One down and two to go. The other two wouldn't be as easy as this one, either, since he was the most distinctive of the three.

Morrison came back on the double and looked at the photo­graph Daisy pointed out. "George 'Buddy' Lemmons. I know this joker. We've had him on B and E, assault, robbery, vandalism. He's another bottom-feeder. He usually pairs with... ah, hell, what's his name?" He went out of the office and they heard him call down the hall, "Hey, Banjo, you remember Buddy Lemmons? We got him for wrecking that old lady's house over on Bob Wal­lace last year. What was the name of the other perp?"

"Calvin . . . something Calvin."

"Yeah, that's right." Morrison came back into the office mut­tering, "Calvin, Calvin." He sat down at his computer and typed in the name. "Here he is. Dwight Calvin. Is he one of the other men?"

Daisy went around and looked at the photograph on the com­puter screen. "Yes," she said positively, studying the slight, dark-haired, big-nosed man.

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure. I haven't seen anyone who looks like the third man, though."

"It would help if we had Sykes's first name, but we'll pick up these two birds and my guess is they'll start singing. Buddy and Dwight aren't big on taking the fall for anyone else. In the mean­time, Miss Minor, where will you be?"

"At home," she began, but Jack shook his head.

"Until this is settled, I'm checking her into a hotel, and I'm not telling anyone where she is—not even you, Morrison. If you want to get in touch with her, call my cell phone, because that will be the only contact."

Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

154#
 Tác giả| Đăng lúc 14-9-2012 13:03:53 | Chỉ xem của tác giả
She tried to think, something she hadn't let herself do in far too long. She had no friends whom she could call for help or ad­vice. Her parents had moved to Florida, and her one brother hadn't spoken to her in years; she didn't think she even had his phone number. When had she become so isolated?

She had to do something, even if it was nothing more than drive to the library and warn Daisy. She wouldn't even have to do that. She could just wait until Temple left the house, so he couldn't overhear her, and then call to warn Daisy. That was okay for the short term, but she had to figure out something that would stop Elton Phillips and her husband, once and for all.

Evelyn dropped what she was doing, got dressed, and came right over. As soon as she arrived at Daisy's house, she fixed Jack with a mother's gimlet stare and said, "What's going on that you thought I might be followed, why shouldn't we tell anyone where Daisy's moved to, and why did I have to erase her number off my Caller ID?"

"It's possible she witnessed a murder," Jack said as he took his plate to the sink.

"My goodness," Evelyn said weakly, sinking down into the chair he had vacated. Midas bounced around her feet in exuber­ant greeting, and she automatically leaned down to pet him.

"The body was found in Madison County, so I'm taking her to Huntsville to give a statement. What has me worried is that someone got her tag number and had it traced, so someone may be trying to find her. I might be overreacting, but until this is set­tled, I'm keeping her hidden."

"This is my daughter you're talking about. You aren't overre­acting. Do whatever you have to do to keep her safe, you hear me?"

"Yes, ma'am. In the meantime, warn everyone in your family not to answer any questions about her. Don't give anyone any in­formation, not even the mayor. He may be involved."

"My goodness," Evelyn said again. "Temple Nolan?"

"He's the one who had me trace the tag number."

"There's probably a perfectly good explanation—"

"Would you risk Daisy's life on that possibility?"

"No, of course not."

While they had been talking, Daisy had been methodically cleaning up the kitchen, her brow furrowed with thought. "If Mayor Nolan's involved, then he knows all of us: Mother, Aunt Jo, Beth, me. None of them are safe, either, if the object is to get to me. He'd know I would do anything to protect them." She looked at Jack; the colors of her eyes intensified in her pale face. "Can you protect all of them? Not just Beth but Nathan and the boys, too?"

He hesitated, then told her the truth. "For a while. Then money problems start locking in. Deputies can't be indefinitely assigned to guard duty."

"Then unless I can make a positive identification of one of the three men from police photos, or they happen to solve the crime and it was someone else entirely, we're looking at a long-term situation."

He nodded, his gaze holding hers. He wished she hadn't made such an accurate assessment, but she was too intelligent and well read not to have eventually figured it out anyway. Watching her expressive face, he could practically read the thoughts chasing through her mind.

"Don't borrow trouble; we've got enough to handle right now. We'll do this one step at the time. You make the statement, give them descriptions of the three men, and we'll take it from there."

"All right, but for now, I don't just want my family guarded, I want them gone." She turned to Evelyn. "How about a week in the Smokies? You and Aunt Jo, and Beth's entire family."

"I'm not leaving you with this going on!" Evelyn said fiercely.

"I'll be safer if you do," Daisy pointed out, with irrefutable logic.

Evelyn hesitated, torn between common sense and a mother's instinct to fight for her child.

"For one thing," Daisy continued, "guarding one person would be much easier for the police than guarding seven. For an­other, I won't be distracted if I know you're safe, so I won't be as likely to make any mistakes."

"She's right," Jack said, throwing his weight behind her argu­ments. "Pack up and leave town as fast as you can. I can assign a couple of officers to guard you until you do, and have the Huntsville department do the same for Beth's family."

"What about the puppy?" Evelyn looked down at Midas, who was gnawing on one of the chair legs. "Who will take care of him?"

Daisy followed her gaze and swooped down on him. "Midas, no, no," she said sternly, picking him up. If her tone of voice reg­istered with him, it wasn't evident from the joyous wiggling, tail-wagging, and licking with which he welcomed her attention. "I'm obviously not going to work for the duration, so I'll take care of him."

Evelyn said, "Midas, huh?" in a tone that said she had accepted, however reluctantly, the need to leave her daughter in Jack's care.

Daisy brushed her nose against the plush fur to hide the sud­den tears that welled in her eyes. "Jack named him. It was either that or Fuzzbutt."

Jack moved forward before the scene got uncomfortably emo­tional. "Ladies, you have a lot of preparations to make. I'll make some calls; Mrs. Minor, two of my officers will be waiting for you when you get home."

"Goodness," she said, reaching for the phone. "I'd better warn Jo."

Thirty seconds later, she was heading out the door. Jack said, "Call Beth and tell her to start packing. Would Nathan already be at work?"

"No, he's on second shift."

"Good. I'll call Huntsville and get some protection on them right away. If he has any problems reporting off with his em­ployer, let me know and I'll get the okay."

Evelyn was nodding as she went down the porch steps. She suddenly stopped and turned back to him. "There's one thing I want you to know."

"What?" he asked warily, put on guard by the narrowing of her eyes.

"I make a darn good mother-in-law, if I do say so myself. But I'll make an even better enemy, if you let anything happen to my daughter."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, understanding completely.

Daisy stared after her mother, her eyes round with surprise. "She just threatened you," she said incredulously.

"And very well, too."

"Um . . . that thing about a mother-in-law—"

"We'll talk about it later. Go get ready." He rubbed a rough hand over his jaw, making a rasping sound. "Mind if I borrow your razor? I don't want to leave you to go home and shave."

Daisy got ready while he was on the phone in her bedroom. She kept leaning out of the bathroom trying to hear what he was saying, but couldn't make out many of the words. Finally she gave up and concentrated on what she was doing, staring at herself in the mirror and feeling as if none of this was real. She was ordi­nary Daisy Minor, a librarian who had lived her whole life in this little town. People like her didn't expect things like this to ever happen to them. But she had decided to go husband-hunting, and now someone was hunting her. It was open season all around.

Jack came into the bathroom. "Okay, everything's set with your family. My officers will escort your mother and aunt to Beth's house. They should all be out of reach within a couple of hours."

"Good." She leaned forward and applied some lip gloss, then stepped back. "The bathroom's yours. The razor's in the medi­cine cabinet."

He looked down at Midas, who of course had followed them and was now plopped on his belly chewing on Jack's shoelaces. "You have a crate to put him in while we're gone, don't you?"

"No, but that's okay" She bent down to separate puppy and shoes. "We're takiing him with us," she said as she left to get dressed.

Temple lingered over his breakfast of freshly squeezed orange juice and a bagel with cream cheese. Usually he left the house by eight-thirty but by eight-forty-five he still hadn't left. Patricia, their cook and housekeeper, left the kitchen to tidy the bedrooms and do the laundry.

Jennifer didn't eat; she seldom did, but usually it was because her stomach was too queasy from her drinking the day before. Today the queasiness was caused by jagged nerves. She sat silently, drinking a cup of coffee and wishing she could add just a dash of whiskey to it, but she didn't dare. If she added one dash, she'd add two, and soon she'd leave out the coffee altogether. Her hands were shaking, and she clasped them around her cup, willing the shakes to stop, praying Temple would leave soon because she didn't know how much longer she could last.

He didn't speak to her, but then he seldom did. They lived in the same house, but their lives were almost completely separate. He no longer told her when there were social functions she might have been expected to attend as the mayor's wife; he no longer told her anything, not where he was going or when she could ex­pect him back. He didn't tell her the details of his day; if one of the kids called him, he didn't even tell her that, though she knew from things they had said that they called him regularly. They must be calling him at work, she thought, because they never called here.

She might already have lost them beyond recovery she thought, and swallowed the nausea that welled up on a bubble of pain. Her babies . . . they were grown, now, but part of a mother always remembered that time when they had just come from her body, when they were so tiny and helpless and she was their en­tire world, and they were hers.

Her children were ashamed of her. They didn't want to talk to her, didn't want to be around her. Temple had done this, but he'd done it with her help. She had sought refuge in a bottle instead of facing the truth: the man she loved didn't love her, had never loved her, would never love her. She was a means to an end for him. She should have taken the children and left him, and no matter how nasty the divorce got—and it would have gotten nasty, she trusted Temple on that—at least she would have had her pride, and her children wouldn't look at her with contempt.

Jennifer looked at the clock. Five till nine. Why was he stay­ing so long?

The phone rang, startling her. Temple got up and answered it on the cordless, taking it with him into his office and shutting the door.

So that was why: he'd been waiting for a phone call.

Shakily she took her cup of coffee upstairs to her bedroom, closing and locking the door. Patricia had already made the bed and tidied her bathroom. Jennifer sat down on the bed and looked at the telephone. If she picked up now, Temple would hear the click; when she listened in, she always picked up just as he did, and she covered the mouthpiece with her hand so no noise would leak through.

Her heart pounded. She lifted the receiver and started punch­ing buttons, as if she were making a call. She didn't even put the receiver to her ear, and she heard Temple shouting, "Jennifer! Damn it, I'm already on the phone."

"W-what?" she stammered, slurring her voice just a little. Maybe he'd think she had started drinking before she came downstairs. "S-sorry I was just calling—"

"I don't give a damn. Get off the line."

She heard a chuckle on the other end, a deep laugh that made her go cold and every hair on her body lift in alarm. Elton Phillips.

"Sorry," she said again, then placed her hand over the mouth­piece and quickly clicked the button to make it sound as if she'd hung up.

"The stupid bitch," Temple muttered. "Sorry about that."

"That's all right," Phillips said, and laughed again. "You didn't marry her for her brain."

"That's for damn sure. If I had, I'd be shit out of luck, because she doesn't have one."

"I'm beginning to wonder if she's the only one whose bulb doesn't glow all that brightly. You've made several mistakes lately yourself."

"I know. I apologize, Mr. Phillips. Sykes has everything under control."

"That remains to be seen. The Russian girls will be here to­morrow morning, and I want Mr. Sykes's full attention on han­dling the shipment. If he doesn't take care of this librarian problem before then, I'll be very unhappy"

Belatedly, Jennifer remembered that the answering machine function built into the phone included a "call record." She blinked at the base unit, looking for the correct button. It had to be with the other function buttons. play, delete, pause—there it was: call RECORD. She depressed the little red button and prayed that it didn't make a noise or beep a warning.

"He'll grab her when she leaves the library for lunch, or when she goes home this afternoon. She'll just disappear. When Sykes handles something personally, there aren't any problems."

"Really? Then why was Mitchell's body found so fast?"

"Sykes didn't handle it. He stayed behind at the club to find out who had seen them in the parking lot. The other two were the ones who handled the body."

"A mistake on Mr. Sykes's part."

"Yes."

"Then this is his last chance. And yours."

Phillips abruptly hung up, and Jennifer almost cut the con­nection on her end. She waited, though, waited for a couple of long seconds. Why didn't Temple hang up? She sat with her fin­ger poised on the button. Was he waiting to see if he heard a be­traying click? Cold sweat trickled down her spine.

Finally the line clicked, and in the next split second she dis­connected, too, returning the receiver to the hook. She dashed across the room to unlock her door, then ran into the bathroom and quickly squeezed some toothpaste on her toothbrush, turned on the water, and began brushing for all she was worth. Temple never came to her bedroom; she was panicking for no reason—

The bathroom door opened and Temple said, "What in hell—"

She jumped and shrieked, spewing toothpaste all over the sink. She was so shaky that she lost her balance and stumbled backward, colliding with the toilet and almost falling over it, but she managed to grab the tank and steady herself, sitting down hard on the lid.

Temple eyed her with disgust. "For God's sake, you haven't even had breakfast and already you're drinking."

With a trembling hand she wiped the toothpaste off her
mouth and didn't say anything. Let him think she was drunk;
that was safer  

"Who were you calling?"     

She indicated her hair, accidentally swiping the toothbrush against the side of her head. "I need my hair done."
Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

153#
 Tác giả| Đăng lúc 14-9-2012 13:02:41 | Chỉ xem của tác giả
NINETEEN

If the blonde lived at the address Nolan had given him, Glenn Sykes had yet to see her today. Two older women had come and gone, but not the blonde. In that kind of residential neigh­borhood, it was difficult to keep watch without being spotted himself, because old folks sat out on their porches and watched everyone who went by.

He got a phone book and looked up Minor. There was only one listing, and that gave the same address the mayor had given him, so the blonde had to live there. Maybe she was off on a business trip or something. He was both worried and relieved: relieved because the woman evidently hadn't been paying much attention to them, and worried because it was on the news that a man's body had been found in the woods by a hunter—it was always those damned hunters—and if the newspaper ran a picture of Mitchell, the lady just might remember that she'd seen him Saturday night.

The mayor seemed unusually shaken by the whole situation, which also worried Sykes. He thought everything could be man­aged if no one lost his cool, but the mayor's hold seemed to be slipping a little. Because of that, he was reluctant to call Nolan and tell him the Minor woman hadn't shown up. He didn't want to send the mayor off the deep end, but neither did he want to just let the situation languish. He needed to find her and get things taken care of so that that loose end was tied off and the mayor would settle down. They had another shipment of girls coming in, Russians, and Sykes wanted everything handled before they arrived. They stood to make some big money off this batch; one was supposed to be only thirteen, and as pretty as a doll.

He drove by the Minor house several times after dark that night, when he wasn't as likely to be noticed, but the beige Ford still hadn't showed up. Finally it occurred to him to go to the Buf­falo Club. Duh! He felt like smacking himself in the head. This Minor babe was into partying, not sitting at home nights with two old women. Feeling certain he'd find her there, Sykes made the drive to Madison County.

But when he scouted out the parking lot, the beige Ford wasn't there. The traffic was lighter on Mondays than it was on the weekend, so he was certain he hadn't missed it. Either she had already hooked up with some guy and gone home with him, or she had gone to some other club.

Okay, it was beginning to look as if the best way to find her was to stake out where she worked. That should be easy to find out, in a small town like Hillsboro. Hell, the mayor might even know her. Come to think of it, he'd sounded unusually subdued when he'd called and given Sykes her name and address; maybe he did know her, and his conscience was acting up.

Sykes couldn't find the woman now, but he was damn sure where she'd be tomorrow: at work. He figured he might as well go home and get a good night's sleep, then call the mayor in the morning on the chance he knew the woman and knew where she worked—she was such a classy-looking babe, the mayor might even have the hots for her. Sykes hoped not. The mayor had be­come skittish enough already without Sykes's having to eliminate one of his playmates.

But everything would work out tomorrow. Tuesday looked like a busy day.

Daisy and Jack took turns getting up every two hours and taking Midas out. Like a little trooper, he did exactly what he was sup­posed to every time. Unfortunately, every time they brought him back in, he thought it was playtime and it took another half hour or so before he cuddled up and went back to sleep.

"This is like having a newborn," Jack said at seven o'clock, sit­ting at the table and sipping his second cup of coffee. His face was rough with stubble and his eyes had dark circles under them. Daisy lacked the stubble, but her eyes matched his.

She looked down at Midas, who was lying on his back with all four paws in the air, and the stuffed duck in his mouth. "Except you don't have to chase down newborns," she said. "They pretty much stay where you put them."

"I'll get him a ball. Chasing it should wear him out, so he'll nap longer—and more often."

Despite her fatigue, Daisy beamed at him. That was so sweet, buying her puppy a toy. He'd been very good natured about the whole thing last night, but then he had volunteered to stay. She would have loved to have made love with him, but at the same time, sleeping together and not having sex had been . . . kind of wonderful. They had even managed to cuddle, though Midas had been right there, squeezing his fat little body between them as if that was his natural place.

"Since you got a welcome mat instead of a guard dog," he said, with a pointed look at the puppy, "I want you to be especially care­ful until I satisfy myself there's nothing to worry about with this tag-number deal. There are a few things I want to check out. Until then, I'll drive you to and from work, and stay here at night."

"Okay," she said, a little astonished. It sounded as if he planned to move in, at least for the short term. What astonished her was how pleased she felt. She should be out trying to find a husband, but she didn't feel as enthusiastic about it as she had just a few days before. Of course, a few days before, she hadn't had a lover, and she hadn't watched him cradle her puppy in his strong arms to carry it out for a nature call in the middle of the night. Just remembering that made her feel squishy as if she had turned to mush inside.

Maybe Jack wasn't her type, but somehow she didn't much care.

"The city council meets tonight," he continued, "so I'll bring you home, then go to my house to shower and change clothes, and come back here when the meeting's over."

"Should I wait with supper?" she asked, just as if they did this all the time.

"No, go ahead and eat. If you have the chance." He gave Midas a wry glance, then began chuckling. The puppy had dozed off, still on his back with his feet in the air.

While she was thinking of it, she called her mother to see if she was still willing to puppy-sit.

"I'll come over there," Evelyn said. “As far as I'm concerned, that fenced back yard is priceless. I'll be over about eight-thirty, so you'll have plenty of time to get to work."

That taken care of, Daisy hung up the phone and immedi­ately began to worry about how she would explain to her mother why Jack was driving her to work. As for explaining his pres­ence—she was, after all, a thirty-four-year-old woman—she didn't owe explanations about her love life to anyone.

"You have to leave," she said. "My mother's coming over."

He seemed to be fighting a grin. "If you feed me breakfast, I'll be out of here by eight o'clock. I'll go home, shave and change clothes, and be back here in plenty of time to get you to the library."

"It's a deal," she said promptly. "It doesn't take long to whip up a bowl of cereal."

"Biscuits," he wheedled.

Exasperated, she turned on the oven.

"And eggs and bacon."

What was a home-cooked meal, compared to the trouble he was going to on her behalf? He was just lucky she had stocked up on all the necessary things out of habit before she realized she wouldn't be doing much cooking for herself. Cereal in the morn­ing and a sandwich at night was much more practical when there was only one sitting down at the table.

She put the bacon in the frying pan, covered it with a screen so the grease wouldn't splatter all over her new stove, then got out the flour, oil, and milk and began mixing up the biscuit dough. Jack watched in amazement. "I thought you would use the canned kind."

"I don't have any"

"You actually know how to make homemade biscuits?"

"Of course I do." She stopped to take out her new biscuit pan and coat it with nonstick cooking spray. She didn't roll out the dough, but did it the way her mother had taught her: she pinched off a certain amount of dough, rolled it into a ball, flattened the ball with a quick pat, and placed it in the pan.

"Aunt Bessie did it that way," he said, fascinated. "She called them choke biscuits, because she choked off the dough instead of using a biscuit cutter."

"Biscuit cutters are for sissies." She had made as many bis­cuits as she, her mother, and Aunt Jo usually ate, but she figured Jack would eat as much as two of them put together. The oven was still heating, so she checked on the bacon and turned it.

Jack got up and poured himself another cup of coffee, grabbed the Huntsville morning paper off the counter, and went back to the table. Daisy hadn't had time to even glance at the paper the day before, because of Midas, but she could always read it at the library.

The oven beeped as it reached the pre-set temperature. Daisy put the biscuits in to bake and turned to get the eggs out of the re­frigerator. As she did, a picture on the front page caught her eye. The man looked familiar, though she couldn't quite place him.

"Who's that?" she said, frowning a little as she pointed.

Jack read the caption. "His name was Chad Mitchell. A hunter found his body Sunday morning."

"I know him," she said.

He put down the paper, his gray-green eyes suddenly sharp. "How?"

"I don't know. I can't quite remember." She got out the eggs. "How do you want them, scrambled or fried?"

"Scrambled."

She cracked four eggs into a bowl, added a little milk, and beat them with a fork. "Set the table, please."

He got up and began opening cabinet doors and drawers until he found the plates and silverware. Daisy stared absently at the bacon as she turned it one last time.

"Oh, I know!" she said suddenly.

"He was a library patron?"

"No, he was at the Buffalo Club. He tried to dance with me, that first night, and wanted to buy me a Coke, but the fight started before he could get back."

Jack set the plates down and gave her his full attention. "That was the only time you saw him?"

She cocked her head as if studying a scene in her memory. "I don't think so."

"What do you mean? It either was or wasn't."

"I'm not certain," she said slowly, "but I think I saw him in the parking lot of the club on Saturday night, before I went inside. He was with two other men; then a third one got out of a car and joined them. He didn't seem all that drunk when he came out of the club, but then he passed out and they put him in the bed of a pickup."

Jack rubbed the back of his neck in an almost angry gesture. "Jesus," he muttered.

She stared at him, her cheeks a little pale. "Do you think I was the last person to see him alive?"

"I think you saw him get killed,” he said harshly.

"But—but there wasn't a shot or anything. ..." Her voice trailed off, and she sagged against the cabinet.

Jack looked at the article, checking his facts. "He was stabbed."

She swallowed and turned even whiter. Jack started to reach for her, but she suddenly gathered herself and did what women have done for centuries when they were upset: they busied themselves doing normal stuff. She tore off a paper towel and lined a plate with it, then took up the bacon, placing it on the paper towel to drain.

Moving that frying pan out of the way, she took out a smaller one, sprayed it with cooking spray, then poured the beaten eggs into it and set it on the hot eye. She checked the biscuits, then got the butter and jam out of the refrigerator and set them on the table.

Jack looked around. "I don't want to use the cordless. Do you have a land line?"

"In the bedroom."

He got up and went into the bedroom. Daisy busied herself stirring the eggs and watching the biscuits as they rose and began to brown. After a minute he came back into the kitchen and said, "I have some people checking into some things, but I'm afraid one of the men in the parking lot saw you, and got your tag number."

She stirred the eggs even harder. "Then call the mayor and ask him who gave him the number."

"There's a slight problem with that."

"What?"

"The mayor lied to me when he asked me to run the number. He may be involved." Jack paused. "He's probably involved."

"What do we do?"

"I've already taken steps to make sure no one can find you. Don't tell anyone you've moved; tell your mother and aunt not to mention it—in fact, call your mother back and tell her to make certain no one follows her when she comes over here."

She gaped at him. "This is my mother, not James Bond!"

"Then tell her to let your aunt drive. I think that woman could outdo Bond."

In the end, he was the one who called her mother, and in a calm tone told her what he wanted her to do. Daisy concentrated on breakfast, which was about all she could handle right then. "Another thing," she heard him say, "do you have Caller ID? Then erase it. I don't want Daisy's number showing up anywhere."

"I need to give a statement," she said when he hung up. "Don't I?"

"As fast as possible." He picked up the phone again and hit re-dial. When her mother answered, he said, "Daisy won't be at work today. Call—"

He glanced at Daisy, who said, "Kendra."

"—Kendra and tell her to handle things. Make something up. Tell her Daisy has a toothache."

When he hung up again, he said, "If this guy is trying to get to you before you can give a statement and description, possibly even make a positive i.d. from police photos, then the thing to do is give it as fast as possible so he won't have anything to gain."

"Don't I have to be alive to testify?" she asked, and was proud her voice was so steady. She raked the fluffy scrambled eggs into a bowl, took the perfectly browned biscuits out of the oven and dumped them in a bread basket, then set everything on the table.

"You will be," he said. "That's a promise."

TWENTY

Sykes did something he'd never done before: he called Temple Nolan at home, bright and early Tuesday morning. Wher­ever the blonde worked, he wanted to be there in plenty of time to intercept her if possible, or in place to follow her home when she left. It would make for a long day, but he was a patient man.

Temple answered on the third ring, his voice fogged with sleep. "Y'ello?"

"It's me."

"Sykes!" Instantly, Temple sounded more alert. "For God's sake, what are you doing calling me here?"

"The Minor woman never showed up at the address you gave me. You sure she lives there?"

"I'm positive. She's lived there her whole life."

That answered one question, Sykes thought; the mayor defi­nitely knew the woman personally.

"Then she stayed somewhere else last night. Maybe she has a boyfriend."

"Daisy Minor? Not likely," Temple scoffed.

"Hey, if she's hanging out at the Buffalo Club, she isn't Mother Teresa."

"I guess so," Temple said reluctantly. "And she's bleached her hair. Damn!"

"The good news is, she seems to be clueless."

"Then maybe we could forget about—"

"No." Sykes was decisive. "She's a loose end. The shipment of Russians will be here soon; do you want to take the chance this Minor woman doesn't screw up things? I don't think Phillips would take kindly to losing that much money. The Russians are worth three times any of our other shipments."

"Shit."

Hearing acceptance, Sykes said, "So where does she work? If I can, I'll grab her this morning, maybe at lunch. If not, I'll follow her this afternoon when she gets off and get her then."

"She's the damn librarian," Temple said.

"Librarian?"

"Hillsboro Public Library. She works next door to city hall. She opens the library at nine and she's the only one working until lunch, I think, but you can't grab her there. There are too many people going and coming from city hall and the police depart­ment, and you can see the library parking lot from both places."

"Then I'll follow her at lunch, see if I get a chance. Don't worry. One way or another, I'll get her today."

As the two men hung up, in her bedroom Jennifer Nolan qui­etly depressed the disconnect button and held it as she settled the receiver back into place. She had been listening in on Temple's calls for years now, a sick compulsion she couldn't resist. She had heard him make assignations with so many different women she had long since lost count, and yet every time he did, a little part of her still died. Over the years she had tried to muster enough self-respect to divorce him, but it was always easier to dull things with alcohol and other men. Sometimes she had even been able to drink enough that she could pretend the other men hurt him the way his women hurt her, but she had lost even that forlorn hope when he began asking her to sleep with men to whom he owed favors.

Elton Phillips was one of those men, and since then Jennifer had actively hated her husband, hated him with a fierceness that ate at her like acid. He knew, he had to have known, what Elton Phillips was like, and still Temple had sent her to him. In the pri­vacy of Phillips's bedroom she had screamed and cried and begged, and in the end merely endured, praying that she wouldn't die—until she reached the point that she prayed she would die.

But he hadn't intended to kill her; there was no need. He trusted Temple to keep her under control, not that she would have gone to the cops anyway. She never wanted her children to find out what had been done to her, or what part their father had played in it. Jason and Paige barely tolerated her anyway, because of the alcohol; they would turn their backs on her forever if they knew about all the other men, and Jennifer had no doubt Temple would make certain they knew.

Had Temple even noticed that she hadn't willingly had sex since she'd recovered from Phillips's assault? She could barely tol­erate it now, and only if she'd had enough to drink beforehand. Temple had even stolen that pleasure, sordid as it had been, from her. She had nothing left now except her children.

And maybe Temple had just given her the means to get rid of him and keep Jason and Paige.

She struggled to remember all she'd heard. Temple had said the man's name, something like Lykes. No—it was Sykes. And something about a shipment of Russians, which didn't make sense. She couldn't imagine Temple being involved in bringing in illegal aliens; he was vociferous in his opinion about what the country needed to do to beef up its borders to stop the flow of wetbacks. She knew one thing, though: if Elton Phillips was in­volved, then it was nasty.

But that about Daisy Minor—Jennifer was certain she hadn't misunderstood that. Daisy was a "loose end," and loose ends were tied up. Jennifer knew what that meant, though how Daisy could be involved with Temple was also something that didn't make sense; Temple went for glossy women who knew the rules and never gave him any trouble. It sounded as if Daisy was causing a lot of trouble. That man, Sykes, was going to "get" her. He'd meant kill her.

She needed to tell someone about this, but who? The local po­lice department would be the logical choice, but how likely were they to take her seriously? Their mayor was planning to kill the li­brarian? Plus he's smuggling in Russians? Sure. Very believable.

At the very least she needed to warn Daisy. Jennifer reached for the bedside phone, but stopped before lifting the receiver. If she could listen in on Temple's calls, he could listen in on hers.

She had until lunchtime; that was when Sykes was going to try to grab Daisy.

Whom to call? The Jackson County Sheriff's Department? The FBI in Huntsville? Or Immigration? Not the sheriff's depart­ment, she thought; with the kind of network Temple had built, they were too close for comfort. Temple spent a lot of time in Huntsville, though; could he have any influence on the federal level? Surely not. Still, the last thing she wanted to do was un­derestimate him; she'd have this one chance, and one chance only, to get away from him and not completely lose what little af­fection her children had left for her.

Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

152#
 Tác giả| Đăng lúc 14-9-2012 13:01:09 | Chỉ xem của tác giả
Aunt Jo roused. "Thank God you're home. Good luck; you'll need it with this little devil. Come on, Evelyn, let's git while the gitting's good."

Evelyn sat up and looked ruefully at the puppy between her feet. "We called Miley Park to see if maybe there was something wrong. She just laughed and said he might be a little excited at being in a new place, but that golden retriever puppies are non­stop mischief until they're about four months old. Well, he does stop when he's sleepy."

"He has two speeds," said Aunt Jo. "He's either at a dead run, or he's asleep. That's it. Have fun. Come on, Evelyn."

"I think we'll go by Wal-Mart and buy some baby gates so we can at least hem him up in one room. Do you want us to pick up some for you, too?"

"We'll buy what they have in stock," said Aunt Jo. "Come on, Evelyn."

"Oh, dear, is he that bad?" Daisy asked, dismayed. He looked like such a little angel, lying there asleep.

"He seems to be mostly house-trained," said her mother. "But he needs to go outside every two hours, as regular as clockwork. He did piddle on the puppy pads—"

"When he wasn't tearing them to shreds," interrupted Aunt Jo. "Evelyn, come on."

"He likes his stuffed toys—"

"He likes everything, including his water dish. Evelyn, if you don't come on, I'll leave without you. He might wake up any minute."

The puppy lifted his head and yawned, his little pink tongue stretching out. Within ten seconds, her mother and aunt had their purses and were out the door. Daisy put her hands on her hips and looked at the little fluff ball. "Okay, mister, just what have you done?"

He rolled over on his back, stretching. She was unable to resist rubbing the warm little tummy, which he took as an invitation to begin licking her everywhere that pink, eager tongue could reach. She picked him up and cuddled him, loving the warmth and smallness of him under all that fuzz. His big, soft feet batted at her, and he wiggled, signaling that he wanted down. She set him down, then broke into a sprint when he darted for the kitchen.

All he wanted was some water. He lapped eagerly, then all of a sudden pounced into the bowl with both front feet, sending water flying.

She got the kitchen floor mopped up—which he thought was a great game, because he kept pouncing on the mop—fed him, and took him outside to do his business. He squatted as soon as his feet touched the grass; then he attacked a bush. Worried that the leaves might be poisonous to him, or at least upset his little tummy, she got him away from the bush and used the hose pipe to run water in the kids' wading pool she'd bought for him.

He was too little to climb over the rim of the pool, so she helped him in and watched him run and slide in the two inches of water until he was drenched, she was drenched, and her sides ached from laughing so much. Lifting him out of the pool, she wrapped him in a towel and carried him inside, hoping he'd take another nap so she could eat.

He pounced into his water bowl again. While she was mop­ping, he chased the mop. Then he grabbed the kitchen towel and made a run for it. She caught him as he dove under the bed, and hauled him out. Her efforts to take the towel away from him evi­dently convinced him she wanted to play tug-of-war and he pulled on the towel for all he was worth, emitting baby growls while his whole body quivered with effort.

She distracted him with a little stuffed duck. He threw the duck over his head, pounced on it, and managed to stuff it under the couch where he couldn't reach it. Then he stood there and yapped until she got down on her hands and knees and retrieved the duck. He immediately stuffed it under the couch again.

Next she tried a rubber chew toy as a distraction, and it worked for about ten minutes. He lay on his belly and held the chew toy between his front paws, gnawing with fierce concentration. Daisy took the opportunity to get out of her work clothes and begin making herself a sandwich. She heard a crash from the living room and ran in barefoot to find he'd somehow dislodged the television remote control from the lamp table and was busy trying to kill it. She took the remote away and put it in a safe place.

He loved her red toenails. He pounced on her bare feet. He kept jumping at her, trying to catch her fingers in his mouth; star­tled, she would jerk her hand back, and his sharp little baby teeth hurt. Finally, she just held her hand down and he mouthed her fingers as if tasting her, then, satisfied, released her.

At last, he got sleepy. He stopped practically in mid-run and collapsed on his belly, heaving a huge sigh as his eyes closed.

"I guess it was a big day for you, little guy," she murmured. "Do you miss your mama, and your brothers and sisters? You've always had someone to play with, haven't you? And now you're all by yourself."

It was after seven o'clock by then, and she was starving. She finished making her sandwich and ate it standing where she could keep an eye on him. He looked so sweet and tiny while he was asleep, but as soon as his eyes opened, he would be full speed again.

He slept on, with the absolute obliviousness of a baby. She de­cided to take a quick shower and left the bathroom door open so he could come in if he woke up. She undressed, dropping her clothes on the floor, and stepped into the tub. She had just gotten soaped when she heard something and parted the curtain to see a pale fuzz ball darting into the hall with her panties in his mouth.

Daisy leaped out of the tub and ran in naked, sliding pursuit. He somehow squeezed behind the couch with his captured trea­sure. She pulled the couch away from the wall and retrieved her panties. There was, of course, a hole in them. He wagged his tail.

"You little demon," she said, picking him up and carrying him into the bathroom with her. She closed the door so he couldn't get out, put her clothes on the back of the toilet where he couldn't reach them, and got back into the shower. He spent the whole time yapping and standing on his back legs, trying to crawl over into the tub with her.

She had learned from the mop episode; instead of stepping out onto the bath mat to towel off, she stood in the tub. He eyed the towel with longing, sitting on his haunches and looking an­gelic.

His little face was so happy, she thought, his mouth open in a perpetual smile. His dark eyes, the rims dark, as if someone had lined his eyes with kohl, were very exotic with his pale fur and long blond lashes. He was so curious and enthused about every­thing that his tail wagged nonstop, like a souped-up metronome.

"So what if you're a little devil," she said. "You're my little devil, and I fell in love with you when you climbed in my lap." His tail wagged even faster as he listened to her voice and the crooning note in it.

"I have to come up with a good name for you, something that sounds big and tough. You're supposed to protect me, you know. I don't think it would scare many burglars if I yelled, 'Sic 'im, Fluffy! do you? How about Brutus?"

He yawned.

"You're right; you aren't a Brutus. You're too pretty. How about Devil?" After a moment, watching him, she vetoed that choice herself. "No, I don't like that, because I just know you're going to be a sweetheart when you grow up."

She tried out names on him for the rest of the evening: Conan, Duke, King, Rambo, Rocky, Samson, Thor, Wolf. None of them were right. She just couldn't look at that smiling little face and make a macho name fit.

She learned not to leave water in his water bowl, or it ended up on the kitchen floor. When he went to his bowl, she poured a little water in, and after he'd lapped that up, she poured some more, until he quit lapping. Unfortunately, there was usually some water left in the bowl when he finished, and he pounced into it. Daisy mopped up water seven times that night, with him in fierce pursuit of the mop head.

He was so intelligent she was amazed; in just that afternoon and night he had learned to go to the back door when he needed to go outside. Finally he seemed to be winding down, so Daisy in­troduced him to his dog bed, which she had placed in her bed­room so he wouldn't be lonely and cry at night. She closed the bedroom door to keep him corralled for the night, placed the stuffed duck in the bed with him, and wearily crawled into bed. She turned out the lamp, and exactly two seconds later he started whimpering.

Fifteen minutes later she gave up and lifted him into the bed with her. He was almost hysterical with joy, jumping and tug­ging at the covers and licking her in the face. She had just got­ten him settled down when the phone rang. It was Jack. While he was talking, the puppy found her robe, which she'd tossed across the foot of the bed, and began tugging at the sleeve. She said, "Killer, no! Put that down! I have to go," and hung up to lunge across the bed and grab him just before he tumbled back­ward to the floor.

Not five minutes later, the doorbell rang. Sighing in fatigue, she got out of bed, picked up the puppy, and carried him with her to the door. That seemed the safest thing to do. A quick peek revealed Jack standing impatiently on the porch. She turned on the light and with one hand unlocked the dead bolt and let him in.

He stepped inside and froze, staring at the puppy "That's a puppy," he said in almost stunned astonishment, which was really observant of him considering she'd already told him she had a dog.

"No!" she said, pretending shock. "That lady lied to me."

"That's a golden retriever puppy."

She cuddled the baby to her. "So?"

With measured movements, Jack closed the door, locked it, then rhythmically beat his head against the frame.

"What's wrong with my puppy?" Daisy demanded.

In a strained voice he said, "The whole idea was to get a dog for protection."

"He'll grow," she said. "Look at the size of his feet. He's going to be huge."

"He'll still be a golden retriever."

"What's wrong with that? I think he's beautiful."

"He is. He's gorgeous. But goldens are so friendly they're no protection at all. They think everyone is their friend, placed on earth just to pet them. He might bark to let you know when someone comes up, but that's about it."

"That's okay. He's perfect for me." She kissed the top of the puppy's head. He was squirming, trying to get down so he could investigate this new human.

Sighing, Jack reached out and took the little guy in his big hands. The puppy began licking madly at every inch of skin he could reach. "So his name's Killer?"

"No, I've just been trying out names. Nothing seems to fit."

"Not if they're like Killer, they won't. You name goldens some­thing like Lucky, or Fuzzbutt." He lifted the puppy until they were nose to nose, "How about Midas? Or Riley? Or—"

"Midas!" Daisy said, her eyes lighting as she stared from him to the puppy. "That's perfect!" She threw her arms around him, stretching up on tiptoe in an effort to kiss him, but the newly named Midas got there first and licked her on the mouth. She sputtered and wiped her mouth. "Thanks, sweetie, but you aren't half the kisser the guy is."

"Thanks," Jack said, holding Midas at a safe distance as he leaned down and their lips met. And clung. The kiss deepened. The melting started again.

"Do you mind if I spend the night?" he murmured, trailing his kisses down her throat.

"I'd love it," she said, and was overtaken by a huge, jaw-breaking yawn.

Jack gave a crack of laughter. "Liar. You're dead on your feet."

Daisy blushed. "I had a very active day yesterday. And last night." She glanced at Midas. "And tonight. I can't turn my back on him for a minute."

"How about if I stay and we do nothing but sleep?"

Blinking in astonishment, she said, "Why would you want to do that?"

"Just to make sure you're all right."

"I think you're going overboard with this protection business."

"Maybe, maybe not. Today the mayor got me to run a tag number; he said he'd seen the car parked in the fire lane at Dr. Bennett's office. Guess whose tag it was?"

"Whose?"

"Yours."

"Mine!" she said indignantly. "I've never parked in a fire lane in my life!"

He hid a grin as he set Midas down. "I didn't think so. Do you have any idea why the mayor would want me to run your tag number?"

Slowly she shook her head.

"If he had seen your car, he'd have known it was you, so obvi­ously someone else got him to do it. That has me a little worried. The good thing is, you've moved, so your address isn't the same as what's on your registration."

She gasped. "My goodness, I totally forgot about that! I'll go to the courthouse and change—"

"No, you will not," he said sternly. "Not until I find out what's going on."

"Why don't you just ask Temple?"

"Because I feel uneasy about the whole thing. Until I'm satis­fied nothing suspicious is going on, I don't want you to give out your new address to anyone. Tell your family to keep it quiet, too."

"But if anyone wants to know where I live, all he has to do is follow me home from work—"

“After today, I'll handle that. I'll drive you home, and I guar­antee no one will be able to tail us."

She stared up at him, at the hard cast of his expression, and re­alized he was deadly serious. For the first time, a frisson of alarm skittered up her spine. Jack was worried, and that worried her.

Midas scampered into the kitchen, and she heard the splat as he landed in his water bowl. "Get the puppy and take him out in the backyard while I mop up the water," she said, sighing. "Then we'll go to bed."

"With him?"

"He's a baby You don't want him to cry all night, do you?"

"Better him than me," Jack muttered, but he obediently took Midas outside and was back in five minutes with a sleepy puppy in his arms.

"I suppose he sleeps in the middle," he said, grumbling. Daisy sighed. "At this point, I'll let him sleep wherever he wants. And we have to take him out every two hours."

"Do what?" he said in disbelief. "I told you, he's a baby. Babies can't hold it."

"I can tell this is going to be a great night."

Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

151#
 Tác giả| Đăng lúc 14-9-2012 12:59:50 | Chỉ xem của tác giả
EIGHTEEN

Jack drove back to Hillsboro, returned the truck to his officer, checked that Daisy was safe at the library, and filled the rest of the day handling the myriad details that cropped up every day in a police department, even a small one. He left the office at the usual time, drove home, cut his grass to kill some time, went in and showered, then called his office phone to make certain Eva Fay had gone home. Sometimes he thought she spent the night there, because she was always there when he arrived and no mat­ter how late he stayed, she stayed later. As a secretary, she was damned intimidating. She was also so good at her job he'd have loved to see her transplanted to New York, to see what kind of miracle she could work on some of the precincts.

There was no answer at his office, so it was safe to go back. His car was in the driveway, plainly visible to anyone who looked. He left a bar light on in the kitchen, a lamp on in his bedroom upstairs, and one on in the living room. The television provided background noise, in case anyone listened. There was no reason for anyone to be watching his house, at least so long as whoever was after Daisy didn't find out about his involvement with her, but he wasn't taking chances.

At twilight, he got a few items he thought he might need and slipped them into his pockets. Wearing jeans, a black T-shirt, and another cap—this one plain black—he slipped out his back door and walked back to the police department. At this time of day al­most everyone was inside for the night, having finished the chores around the house, eaten supper, and settled down in front of the tube. He could hear the high-pitched laughter of some youngsters chasing lightning bugs, but that was one street over. Maybe there were some folks sitting on their front porches, en­joying the fresh air now that it wasn't as hot, but Jack knew he was virtually unrecognizable in the deepening twilight.

His second-shift desk sergeant, Scott Wylie, looked up in sur­prise when Jack entered by the back door, which was the way all the officers came in. It was a quiet night, no one else around, so Wylie didn't even try to hide the fishing magazine he was read­ing. Jack had come up through the ranks, so he knew what it was like to work long, boring shifts, and he never gave his men grief about their reading material. "Chief! Is something wrong?"

Jack grinned. "I thought I'd spend the night here, so I can find out what time Eva Fay comes to work."

The sergeant laughed. "Good luck. She has a sixth sense about things like that; she'll probably call in sick."

"I'll be in my office for a while, clearing up some paperwork. I was going to do it tomorrow, but something else came up."

"Sure thing." Wylie went back to his magazine, and Jack went through the glass doors into the office part of the building. The police department was two-storied, built in a back-facing L, with the offices in the short leg facing the street, while the officers' lockers and showers and the evidence, booking, and interrogation rooms were on the first floor of the long section, with the cells on the top floor.

Jack's office was on the second floor, facing the street. He went in and turned on the lamp on his desk, scattered some papers around the desk so it would look as if he'd been working— just in case someone came up, which he doubted would happen— then he got a key from his desk and silently went down to the basement, where a short tunnel connected the P.D. to city hall. The tunnel was used to transport prisoners from the jail to court for their trials and was securely locked at both ends. Jack had a key, the desk sergeant had a key, and the city manager had once had a key, but it was taken from him when it was discovered he was giving his girlfriends tours of the place.

He unlocked the door on the P.D. side, then relocked it when he was in the tunnel—again, just in case. The place was dark as a tomb, but Jack had a pencil flashlight with a narrow, powerful beam. He unlocked the door on the other end, and left this one unlocked, because there wasn't supposed to be anyone in city hall after five P.M. The basement was silent and dark, just the way it should be.

He soundlessly climbed the stairs; the door at the top had no lock. He eased it open, listened, then put his eye to the crack and looked for light where there shouldn't be any. Nothing. The place was empty.

More relaxed now, he opened the flimsy lock on the water de­partment door—the city really needed to replace its locks, it only took him a few seconds to get in—and booted up the computer. The system wasn't password protected, because it wasn't on-line. He clicked on Programs, found Billing, and opened the file. Bless their tidy little hearts, everything was cross-referenced between account numbers and names. He simply found Daisy's name, clicked on it, changed her address to his, saved the change, and closed the file. Bingo.

That taken care of, he backed out of the operating system and turned off the computer, relocked the door behind him, then made his way upstairs to the mayor's office. He had no idea what he was looking for, but he sure wanted to look around.

Like his own office, there were two entrances to the mayor's: one through Nadine's outer sanctum, and a private, unmarked door a little farther down the hallway. The locks here were much better than the locks on the door at the water department.

Jack decided to use Nadine's door, on the theory that she might think she'd accidentally left it unlocked. Repeating the process he'd used at the water department, he took a small set of probes and picks from his pocket, then put the penlight in his mouth, crouched down, and went to work. He was good at pick­ing locks, though until tonight he hadn't been called upon to do so since moving to Hillsboro. When people asked him about his SWAT training or any of the action he'd seen, they never asked about any specialty training he might have had on the side. He al­ways downplayed the action part—hell, he wasn't a Rambo, none of them were, though there were always a few who let their heads get too far into the mystique—and kept quiet about some of the training, because it seemed smart to keep something in reserve.

The lock yielded in about thirty seconds. Normal citizens would be alarmed at how easy it was to open locked doors; they thought all they had to do was turn the key and they were safe. Unfortunately, the only people they were safe from were the peo­ple who obeyed laws and respected locked doors. A lowlife would break a window, kick in a door; Jack had even known them to crawl under houses and saw holes in the floor. Alarm systems and burglar bars were good, but if someone was determined to get in­side, he'd find a way.

Witness himself, breaking into the mayor's office. Jack grinned as he slipped through Nadine's office, holding the penlight down so the beam wouldn't flash across the windows, and tried the door into the mayor's office. It was unlocked; that meant one of three things: Either Temple had nothing to hide, he was so careless he didn't de­serve to live, or he made certain there was nothing suspicious here to see. Jack hoped it was the first but figured it was the third.

Working fast but systematically, he went through the trash and found a wadded piece of paper with Daisy's tag number scribbled on it, but nothing else interesting. He smoothed out the paper; it was a sheet from the memo pad printed with Temple Nolan at the top, the same memo pad that now rested on top of Temple's desk. It followed, then, that the mayor had been here in his office when someone called asking him to run that tag number.

A quick search of the mayor's desk turned up nothing. Jack surveyed the office, but there were no file cabinets, just furniture. All the files were in Nadine's office. There were, however, two phones on Temple's desk. One was the office phone, with a list of extension numbers beside it. The other had to be a private line, so Temple could make and receive calls without Nadine knowing.

It was a long shot, but Jack took a tiny recorder out of his pocket, hit redial on the private phone, then held the recorder to the earpiece, recorded the tones, and quickly hung up. He had a pal who could listen to the tones and tell him what number had been dialed. Next he hit *69, and scribbled down the number the computer provided. It wasn't a local exchange, so the last call Temple had received had not been from his wife asking when he'd be home for supper. Jack tore off a few extra pages of the memo pad to make certain no impression was left behind, wadded up the extras, and dropped them into the wastebasket. The trash would be emptied before Nolan came to work, not that he was likely to go through his own trash, considering there was nothing interesting in there except Daisy's tag number, which Jack also dropped back in the trash.

That was all he could do tonight. Taking out a handkerchief, he carefully wiped all the surfaces he had touched; then let him­self out through Nadine's office. He went back through the base­ment tunnel, up to his office, where he restacked all the papers he'd scattered on his desk so Eva Fay wouldn't realize he'd been here when she wasn't, turned out the light, and locked up. Every­thing was just the way he'd found it.

He went out through the back; things were a little busier now than they had been before; an officer had brought in a drunk dri­ver, a big guy who stood about six-six and weighed at least three-fifty. When Jack came through the doors, both Sergeant Wylie and the officer glanced at him, their attention momentarily dis­tracted, and the drunk saw his chance for an escape, ramming his shoulder into the officer and sending him flying, then lowering his head and charging straight into Wylie's stomach.

It had been a while since Jack had seen any action. With a whoop of sheer joy, he joined the melee.

It took all three of them to subdue the big guy, and they had to resort to some rough stuff before they got him down. It was a good thing the guy had been cuffed, or someone would have been really hurt. As it was, once they had him down and hog-tied, Sergeant Wylie felt his ribs and winced.

"Anything broken?" Jack asked, wiping blood from his nose.

"I don't think so. Just bruised." But he winced again when he touched them.

"Go get them checked out. I'll handle things here."

The officer, Enoch Stanfield, had a fat lip and a rapidly swelling eye. He was trembling slightly from adrenaline overload as he soaked his handkerchief at the watercooler and held the cold cloth to his eye. "God, I love this job," he said in an ex­hausted voice. "Nowhere else would I have the opportunity to get the shit kicked out of me every day." He eyed Jack. "You sounded like you were having fun, Chief."

Jack looked down at the big drunk, who had gone to sleep al­most as soon as they got him hog-tied. Gargantuan snores issued from his open mouth. "I live for days like this." Jack was abruptly exhausted, too, though he wasn't shaking like Stanfield.

He had to call in another officer to help them drag the drunk into the tank to sleep it off. He also called in one of the medics to check him and make sure he was okay, that the big guy wasn't in insulin shock, or something like that, even though the Breatha­lyzer indicated that he was simply piss-assed drunk, a diagnosis with which the medic concurred. A cold pack was put on Stan-field's eye, a stitch in his lip, and another cold pack on Jack's left hand, which was beginning to swell. He had no idea what exactly had happened to hurt his hand, but that's the way it was with fights: you just threw yourself in and took stock afterward. By the time he had everything organized, including a replacement for Wylie for the rest of the shift, it was almost ten-thirty; the third-shift officers were there to take over, the second-shift officers were all there except for Wylie, and a couple of the first-shift guys had heard the excitement on their scanners and had come over to take a look. After all, it wasn't every day the chief got involved in tak­ing down a D and D, drunk and disorderly.

"There's no way Eva Fay won't hear about this," he said glumly, causing general laughter.

"She'll raise hell, you being here without her on duty," Officer Markham, a twenty-year veteran with the force, said tongue-in-cheek.

The men, Jack realized, were thoroughly enjoying the situation. It wasn't often the rank and file got to see their chief get down and dirty. There had always been a hint of reserve in them that wasn't due just to difference in rank; the biggest part had been that he was an outsider. His wrestling with a big drunk had made them feel he was one of them, a regular cop despite his rank.

To top it all off, he had to walk back home. He could have had one of the guys drive him home, but then he'd have had to come up with a reasonable explanation for why he'd walked over in the first place, and he didn't want to deal with it.

The house was just as he'd left it. Nothing seemed disturbed or out of place. He went straight to the phone and called infor­mation, to see if he could get the number of the mayor's private line in city hall. There was no such listing, which didn't surprise him. Next he called Todd Lawrence, who answered on the third ring with a sleepy "Hello."

"I got the address changed," he said. "And I used call return on the mayor's private line to get the number of the last call to him, and redial to record the tones of the last call he made."

"You've been a busy little boy." Todd sounded more alert.

"This gives us two numbers to check out. Think you can find out what the mayor's private number is and get those records, too?"

"Too? You want me to get telephone records on three num­bers." It was stated as fact.

"What else are federal friends for?"

"You're going to get your federal friend's ass fired."

"I figure my federal friend owes it to Daisy."

Todd sighed. "You're right. Okay. I'll see what I can do, maybe call in some favors. This is completely off-record, though."

Next Jack called Daisy, though a quick look at his watch told him it was just after eleven. She'd probably gone to bed at ten on the dot, but after all his efforts on her behalf that day, he thought he deserved at least a brief chat.

"Hello." She didn't sound sleepy; she sounded tired, but not sleepy.

“Are you already in bed?"

"Not yet. It's been an ... eventful night."

"Why? What's happened?" He was instantly on alert.

"I can't turn my back on him for a second, or he's tearing something up."

" 'Him?' "

"The dog."

The dog. Jack heaved a sigh of relief. "He doesn't sound very well trained."

"He isn't trained at all. Killer, no! Put that down! I have to go," she said hurriedly.

"I'll be right over," he said, just before she hung up, and didn't know if she heard him or not. He didn't care. He grabbed his keys, turned off the lights, and went out the door.

Daisy was exhausted. Her mother had called her at three P.M. and said tiredly "Jo and I are taking the puppy over to your house. At least the yard is fenced in and he can run there. We'll stay there with him until you get home."

"Oh, dear." That didn't bode well. "What has he done?"

"What hasn't the little devil done? We're run ragged just try­ing to keep up with him. Anyway, we'll see you in a couple of hours."

When she got home at ten after five, both her mother and Aunt Jo were dozing in the living room, while the puppy slept be­tween her mother's feet. He looked so adorable, lying on his belly with his back legs stretched out behind him, like a little bearskin rug, that her heart melted.

"Hello, sweetheart," she crooned. One heavy eyelid lifted, his little tail wagged; then he went back to sleep.

Trả lời

Dùng đạo cụ Báo cáo

Bạn phải đăng nhập mới được đăng bài Đăng nhập | Đăng ký

Quy tắc Độ cao

Trả lời nhanh Lên trênLên trên Bottom Trở lại danh sách